Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it hard to add Electric heater to HLT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
vanwolfhausen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it hard to add Electric heater to HLT?

As I have less and less time to go crazy brewing I was thinking of something I am sure some of you already have that would be great.

I would love the ability to have Electric heater and timer on HLT. That way I can start my water heating when I am away to be almost ready to put into MT when I get home. I am not sure I would trust this 100% but, it would be nice.

I would love to have an all electric brew system that can be done indoors but, not sure that is in the cards. The room is not and issue but, not sure about what you have to do to exhaust everything from the room?

Any help would be appreciated to see if this is something I will actually do in the future. I do like the Brutus system a lot but, with a lack of knowledge in that I would most likely have to have someone do this for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You need some ventilation for steam. Brew near a window with a box fan inserted even. That's what I have to do right now.

Adding an element isn't hard. Get the locknut kit from bargain fittings, drill a 1 1/4" hole, cover with a PVC cap or an outlet box. Tons of threads here. I have done three and have another going in this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
vanwolfhausen
Recipes 

I might stick to brewing in garage. How many heating elements would I need or how strong of one to heat water from say 50 to 160-180? I want to just use for my HLT

Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go here this could help

http://manskirtbrewing.com/calcs.shtml#electrichdr

Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Sure it is pretty easy to do this, especially if you are talking 110v. You could even hook it up to a timer the night before so that it turns on when you need it. I would check out some of the threads in the Electric Brewing portion of this forum.

Heres a good one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/e-ke...lement-181266/

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bucket heater and timer

I have been using a bucket heater...

http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-P...=BUCKET+HEATER

and a timer...

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-TN3...electric+timer

...to preheat my strike/HEX/sparge water for my past three beers, and it has cut over an hour off of my brewday, and has saved a ton of propane.

The night before I brew, I fill my kettle (kettle doubles as the holding tank for my HERMS coil during mash) with a full ten gallons of filtered water. I set the timer/bucket heater to turn on 3-4 hours before I plan to dough in. I find the bucket heater can increase 10 gallons of water by about 20 degrees an hour.

During the mash, I leave the bucket heater in the kettle with the HERMS coil to maintain a gentle heat, so the investment kind of serves double duty.

It might be the best $45 I have spent in a while.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

I've seen that most are going with a 1 1/4 fitting. I was thinking of a 2" clover welded in to the kettle. I could then use a cap if heating with gas or add a fitting into a cap if going electric. Make sense?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDogShelby
I've seen that most are going with a 1 1/4 fitting. I was thinking of a 2" clover welded in to the kettle. I could then use a cap if heating with gas or add a fitting into a cap if going electric. Make sense?
Yep. Don't want element in while heating with gas . Could melt something

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er

Yep. Don't want element in while heating with gas . Could melt something
I was thinking about making a hybrid system like this. An element for either a timed heating I the HLT or for maintaining the temp once there. Since I'd stay with 120, a burner would give a faster ramp if I needed it. I was thinking about adding a heat shield around the element to keep the heat away. Anyone else do a system like this?

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Quick Reply