Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Harbor Freight Drill to turn Barley Crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
eyedoctodd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Harbor Freight Drill to turn Barley Crusher

First off, yes - I know you get what you pay for. I read many reviews that said this drill (Harbor Freight Chicago Electric D-handle 1/2" chuck drill, model #47991) is a beast and will buzz through the grain bill with no problems. The specs state that this drill will do 0-800 RPM with no load.

Received my BC today with 15# hopper (THANKS SWMBO!!) and immediately connected the above-mentioned drill. I think the drill (at minimum speed) is going too fast, maybe I'm wrong. You decide:

http://youtu.be/l_HLqmUnD7w
I asked for and received this mill for my bday to crush my own grains and improve/get consistent efficiency. Please chime in if you think this drill is a problem...

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------
Eleventy-Three Brewing Co.

Kegged: Ten Downing ESB, Grizzly Grundle Pale Ale Remux, Eldred Rock Light Northern German Altbier, Unnamed Kölsch.
Bottled: Brooke's Bliss Irish Stout
Primary:
Secondary: Who does that?
On Deck: German Pilsner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
PSUSkier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hard to say with certainty from the video, but you're right it does seem quite fast... Did you just order that drill? I personally use the 93632 drill because it is fully variable speed (even though the website says variable speed on your drill, it sounded like it was a on/off trigger. Am I right on that?).

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ill-93632.html

Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1386 Times on 1118 Posts

Yikes, that drill is loud! Straight cut gears and lots of slop, I bet.

No way to tell from here whether that's spinning too fast or not. I'd just grab some grain and run a few pounds through the mill and see what the crush looks like - and whether you end up covered in grain dust

One thing you could do is get a speed controller like for a fixed-rpm router, would likely make it a lot easier to run the drill at a comfortable speed than trying to hold the trigger "just so"...

Cheers!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
eyedoctodd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

In reply to both of you, the trigger IS straight on-off but there is a separate speed adjustment knob that you can't see in the video. It is set to minimum there. So it is in fact variable but IMO it goes from fast to faster. I don't see any way it is 0-800 RPM.

Bummer because the other nice feature it comes with is a trigger lock so if I had >15# of grain I could start it out, lock the trigger, then let go and add any remaining grain that wouldn't initially fit in the hopper.

I am going to check out that 93632.. I want to do this "right". I know that might sound like it conflicts with the idea of getting a harbor freight drill but this will be basically the only thing it's used for, so I feel like I shouldn't need to shell out for a DeWalt.

Kegged: Ten Downing ESB, Grizzly Grundle Pale Ale Remux, Eldred Rock Light Northern German Altbier, Unnamed Kölsch.
Primary:

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 470 Posts

I have this same drill, it will slow down a bit under load. The HF Spade Handle drill will turn a bit slower. Like you, I also thought the D-handle was a bit fast...I actually put a tab of tape on the chuck and let it brush my hand to get a feel for the RPM...can't remember what I estimated but it was slower than I thought...I think you will sleep better using the Spade handle drill

edit.......HF has a reasonable return policy...get both and report back....thanks and cheers!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

jip, load makes a difference and if it is still to fast for your liking, mill it twice

Oo..oo.. and dont forget to condition your grain before milling, that made all the difference for me, seems it does not mater now what speed I mill at

Reason: addition

Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
eyedoctodd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So I stopped by harbor freight on my way to work and exchanged (spent the extra $5) the D-handle 47991 for the Spade-handle 93632. Just tried it out by itself (my barley crusher is at home) and it in fact will do super low RPMs if I want it that low. It also goes really fast. I think this is definitely the better HF choice for this application. The only downgrade is this drill is 7.5 Amps vs. 10Amps on the 47991 but I don't that will matter for crushing grain. Thanks all for your input.

DannyD - can you link a thread or a wiki page about grain conditioning? Thanks

Primary:

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

This is the HF drill I've been using since august with my BC.

3/8" Variable Speed Reversible Drill

Item # 3670 Manufacturer: Drill Master
Drill Master

It's adjustable, and it is fast, but so what, I just fire it in bursts.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
eyedoctodd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yeah, I initially bought that 3/8 drill but then I read of several people burning them out with grain crushing, so I returned it unused. The $19.99 price was nice though!

Primary:

Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoctodd View Post
Yeah, I initially bought that 3/8 drill but then I read of several people burning them out with grain crushing, so I returned it unused. The $19.99 price was nice though!
I've been using mine a couple times a month since august. And haven't had any issues.

I also think I paid 9 bucks for it with a coupon so I guess I figure that even if after a year or more it burns out I can just pick another one up with a coupon when it dies.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply