Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gypsum Overload?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Gypsum Overload?

Today I brewed the recipe for Ballentine's IPA found in Mitch Steele's IPA book. The recipe calls for .2oz of gypsum per gallon. This seems like 5x the amount of gypsum ohers are using for their IPA's.

Any thoughts on this? The full recipe is posted on anoher forum:

http://www.albanybrewcrafters.com/fo...hp?topic=488.0

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth
Today I brewed the recipe for Ballentine's IPA found in Mitch Steele's IPA book. The recipe calls for .2oz of gypsum per gallon. This seems like 5x the amount of gypsum ohers are using for their IPA's.

Any thoughts on this? The full recipe is posted on anoher forum:

http://www.albanybrewcrafters.com/fo...hp?topic=488.0
That link also says .008oz/gal and for a 5 gal batch that's 1.12 grams, which isn't a whole lot. This is a few lines below where it says .2oz/gal. I don't know why they put both .2oz/gal and .008oz/gal but .2oz/gal is way too much. Either way, mineral additions should be based on an individuals water report. If your sulfate to chloride ratio is already super high on the sulfate side then you might not need any gypsum additions for this purpose.

If you added .2oz per gallon for a 5 gallon batch then you've just added 28 grams of gypsum which is probably disastrous. According to Palmers water spreadsheet, 28 grams of gypsum will put you over 800ppm which would mean that you might have a dumper. Here is a quote from Palmers "How to Brew":

Sulfate (SO4-2)
Molecular Weight = 96.0
Equivalent Weight = 48.0
Brewing Range = 50-150 ppm for normally bitter beers, 150-350 ppm for very bitter beers
The sulfate ion also combines with Ca and Mg to contribute to permanent hardness. It accentuates hop bitterness, making the bitterness seem drier, more crisp. At concentrations over 400 ppm however, the resulting bitterness can become astringent and unpleasant, and at concentrations over 750 ppm, it can cause diarrhea. Sulfate is only weakly alkaline and does not contribute to the overall alkalinity of water.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wow, literal crap beer. I know he listed two amounts there but I thought one might be an adition for the mash then another for the boil. I skipped the boil addition thinking I wanted to be conservative. Worse yet, I added .2oz per gallon of preboil wort of 7.5 gallons. Why would Steele's book make such a recommendation?

Been brewing for 5 years and I have never had to dump a batch. Am dumping four this summer. Incredible.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You caused me to pull out my IPA book and review that recipe. Sure enough, 0.2 oz/gal gypsum is recommended. That is at least 836 ppm sulfate and that is higher than most drinkers will enjoy. On top of that, the recipe mentions it should be added to the tap water. If the tap water has any sulfate content at all, the resulting content after mineral addition is surely too high.

I see the mention of the 0.008 oz/gal gypsum, but the description of that addition is nebulus. Kind of a shame that there are errors in any book. But having participated in a book effort, I can tell you that they can still creep into the text. Hopefully they can be corrected in an errata sheet from the publisher.

To reiterate the comments of others, the 800+ ppm sulfate is excessive and a brewer would be wise to use less than half that amount in creating an enjoyable beer.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

IMO and experience, even though a recipe includes a water additive doesn't mean you need it. It's more important to know your water chemistry first and make the necessary adjustment to achieve the desired profile

It is too bad the editors missed the misinformation but if the brewer is experienced in modifying water then it would be noted during process

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Denny Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Send an email to Mitch Steele.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Jeez... that's a pretty major typo. The publishers may have liability on their hands if people get sick.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's Saison

Primary 1: Cornholio's Bunghole Surprise
Primary 2: Necromantic Amber Ale
Primary 3: Wooden Tongue Oatmeal Stout
Primary 4: Blaze's 50th B-Day Grapefruit IPA
Primary 5: TC's Torrontes
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Sara's Chianti

Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In my defense re: water profile, I have tried to get our local water authority to share a water report but it doesn't reveal much. Have not sent to Ward labs yet for analysis. What I do know is that my IPA's routinely suffer from lack of "bite" to the bitterness (regardless of hop varietal and recipe), our sulfate level is listed as <15 so it sounds like that's low but I have no reading on chlorate levels to tell the ratio.

If anyone knows Mitch Steele's email address then yes, I'll send him a note. I looked in the book for some contact info but no dice.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also, thank you all for the responses ... This is exactly why I love this community, you all have saved me from myself on way too many occasions.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

He has a Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/mitchatstone

Quick Reply