Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Guess my Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

Default Guess my Water

I decided to start paying attention to my water so I bought some pH strips (generic colorphast ones) and tested the pH of my last mash...4.6 This was for a pale ale, (5kg (11lbs) german pale male, 500g (1.1lbs) munich and 1kg (2.2lbs) caramel).
While I wait for my test results (water test results that is) anybody want to throw some wild guesses at my water profile?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

4.6 is about right, isn't it? Water is usually 7-7.2, but grain is acidic, mash ought to be lower than 4.8?

I ddi have trouble witha primer though. I had made some Invert/Candy sugar with citric acid. It didn't kick off the yeast. So I bought some test strips. I had to dilute the starter 4:1 to get a reading of 4, so it must have been like PH 2? I guess I acid washed that vial of Cal V? Anybody have a program for the PH math?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've often wondered how you can test the pH of a mash with pH strips. I would have thought that the color of the mash would severely interfere with the readings from the pH strips.

-a.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I don't know much about water profiles, but I'm going to guess that you're uber-soft.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #5
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I don't know much about water profiles, but I'm going to guess that you're uber-soft.
*insert flacid member joke here*

That's what I'm thinking. Too bad I like brewing dark ales and the like. I'm playing around with bicarbonate to adjust. But I'm finding the papers iffy in their readings.

We'll see if the efficiency changes on this batch.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I tried to do a google search for a water quality profile for ya but no luck . . . .
What I did find out is the water in your area is the worlds best for making sake though

Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

宮水, Miya-mizu, Temple Water.
Great sake museum here too. No micros though... yet.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
flippindiscs
Recipes 

I never trust those paper ph test strips. When I tried them I did 3 tests in a row and every one said the ph was different. I don't know what to believe. I just figure if the water doesn't taste like acid or on the other hand slime like texture, then it has to be good enough.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew
4.6 is about right, isn't it? Water is usually 7-7.2, but grain is acidic, mash ought to be lower than 4.8?

I ddi have trouble witha primer though. I had made some Invert/Candy sugar with citric acid. It didn't kick off the yeast. So I bought some test strips. I had to dilute the starter 4:1 to get a reading of 4, so it must have been like PH 2? I guess I acid washed that vial of Cal V? Anybody have a program for the PH math?
Nope - and thinking water is "usually" 7-7.2 is kinda risky if you are trying to make a pale ale. San Antonio water has a ph of 7.9, my well water is 9.6. Totally sucks for making a pale ale, SA's water is GREAT for making dark beers though.

Where did you get the idea ph needed to be lower than 4.8? The lower the ph goes the more like acid your water becomes, the higher it goes the alkiline your water becomes. If your waters ph was 2 (or 4) when you put yeast in it, you put your yeast in acid, no wonder it didn't start, you killed it. Mash ph is a pretty small scale depending on style of beer (pale ale or dark like a stout).

Try here for ph spreedsheets and some reading, but you must know your waters profile to really use it. Get it from your water company. Tell them you want/need the following information, it's about all you really need to worry about;

Calcium(Ca): 4.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 1.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 10.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 8.0 ppm
Bicarbonate(HCO3): 10.0 ppm
PH: 7.9 PH

Good luck with your brewing in acid with modified malts.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

pH strips don't tell you anything able water composition, other than pH. Hard water can make it difficult to change the pH.

When I brewed in Oakland, my brewbuddy's GF read the pH for us. I can't read the strips myself and so now I use pH 5.2 for mashing and sparge water.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply