Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Growing barley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
Ivan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growing barley

I live in the pacific NW and I would like to plant some barley for an experiment in home malting. Does anyone have any suggestions for planting times and harvesting times, Also where I could buy the barley seed, what variety of barley, pretty much if anyone has any experience in this I would love to hear any suggestions and tips, thanks a bunch! oh wheat too, i wanna try a heff.
-Ivan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's a book called the Homebrewer's Garden that you'll want to check out. You can probably get it from your local library. It'll tell you planting times, etc. As fas as a seed supplier goes, I looked a little online and I don't know where you'll find a supplier. I think I remember seeing that you don't want the type of two row barley they use as animal feed b/c it is lower quality.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Ivan
Recipes 

Default thanks

Yes, I heard you have to choose your grain carfuly, thanks for the tip. have to go get that book.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
80/-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A variety called Golden Promise is used a lot in Scotland, both for malting for beer and whisky production.

You may be able to pick it up in the states

HTH

80/-

Quick Reply