Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gross! Tannins anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
michael.berta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Gross! Tannins anyone?

OK so I might have my first dumper. It's a beer I brewed about 5 weeks ago. Yeah, yeah i know... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

But it really does taste like Satan's anus. I'm not sure if it is tannins or DMS or both...or neighter. There is no mold or infection but it just has this overwhelming really nasty hard to describe taste kinda like vomit.

First the recipe

:::10 gallons::::

Malts:
25# Pils
1# Wheat
1# Munich

Hops:
2.0 oz Warrior 60 minutes
1.5oz Saaz 30 minutes
1.5oz Saaz 10 minutes
1oz Saaz 1 min

Yeast:

Pacman

Brewing Notes:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
For this beer I did a decoction mash. I did a protein rest at 125 and a thick decoction. Brought decoction up to 155. Rested for 20 minutes and then boiled for 20 minutes. Returned decoction to main mash and mashed at about 150 degrees for 60 minutes. I batch sparged very slowly with near boiling water. Thermometer read 190 degrees during sparge.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I am wondering if maybe I got some tannins from not doing the decoction correctly? Or maybe from sparging too hot? Or both? Also, there is lots of Pilsner malt and I only did a 60 minute boil so there might be some DMS?

Can anyone offer some advise as to what the hell happened here? Is it worth it to rack this and wait it out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

[quote=michael.berta;1419551]I batch sparged very slowly with near boiling water. Thermometer read 190 degrees during sparge.quote]I think this is the problem. Sparge at 170.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
michael.berta
Recipes 

Yeah normally I sparge at 170. I blame this on the fact that I had a BBQ and was drinking all day and left the sparge water on the burner too long and then I was too lazy to cool it down before sparging...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Well, I think you'd be a fool to dump it without giving it time. I mean there are over 100 stories on there about waiting and letting bottle conditioning and time heal it.

You would be surprised the magic that can happen.

I've have plenty of beers that taste like grainy iced tea at 5 weeks, and was smooth as silk at 8 or more...

If you are tasting it in secondary especially.....

You have the info, the rest is your choice.

If you dump you have a 100% chance of not drinking it, if you save it now you have a 50% chance of it turning out drinkable, if not downright the best beer you have ever had.

I have had some damn nasty beers that I walked away from, and I STILL haven't had to dump one yet, no matter what I did to it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
michael.berta
Recipes 

OK Revvy. I took your advice. I racked to a secondary and am going to forget about it for several months and report back. This smelled so bad it almost triggered my gag reflex. I have a weak stomach from working at an IHOP as a teenager, but that's another story..

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ya, as others stated, sounds like the high temperature sparge is the problem.

Gelatin finings are very good at removing excess tannins from beer. After your beer hits terminal gravity, I recommend using two teaspoons (4x normal dosage) of unflavored gelatin dissolved in 170F water and cold crashing the batch (if possible).

If the gelatin doesn't save it, you're probably out of luck.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure I buy the high temp theory. I sparge with 190ish (sometimes higher, somtimes lower) water to get the grain bed up to 168. Unless we're saying the mash was up to 190, and not the water you were sparging with. I guess that's where I'm not clear.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

+1 on gelatin finings. It's a cheap way to try to save the batch, but 'smells like vomit' is more likely DMS.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.berta View Post
OK Revvy. I took your advice. I racked to a secondary and am going to forget about it for several months and report back. This smelled so bad it almost triggered my gag reflex. I have a weak stomach from working at an IHOP as a teenager, but that's another story..
Um, I think you have missed the point of the never dump your beer thread....secondary is not the place where it is going to "cure" it.

That's not where the people in my thread talk about.... needs to be bottled or kegged under pressure...In fact, sorry to say I don't believe there is anything wrong with your beer, except the. If you are judging a beer in primary, or secondary, you are really prematurely judging your beer.

I caution anyone to not make premature judgements about your beers UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHIED THE ENTIRE PROCESS, all the way to bottle conditioned.....Then if after the three weeks minimum for normal grav beers, THEN you think about socking it away for weeks or months.....

Your beer has a huge journey to go through, it goes through a huge amount of biochemical transformations, and one of the most important is that little bit of fermentation that happens in the bottle.

Heck most of my all grain beers ALWAYS taste like Iced tea in primary, and many til 6 weeks in the bottles.....that's why judging a beer as being astringent or anything for that matter , is like calling the race over by judging the first horse to take off at the starting gun, not crossing the finish line.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Maybe Revvy has a point, but hoping that something that smells like "vomit" gets better is pretty optimistic. Beer does improve with conditioning, but something so foul it gags you isn't going to win any awards, no matter how long it's aged. I'd wait and see, but wouldn't bother bottling it if it's not much improved in a month. Why waste your time and energy on a probably dumper? That's what I'd do, anyway.

Quick Reply