The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Great quote from Palmer on Mash Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
RJS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Great quote from Palmer on Mash Efficiency

Mash Efficiency from John Palmer

"In the last 15 years, people have stopped getting hung up on "My efficiency is better than your efficiency", as JZ says, when your in a mediocre resource efficiency at 70-75%, your making a much richer tasting beer than if your brewing at 90 or 95% efficiency when your getting every last gram of extract out of your grain bill. You get a lot more polyphenols and stuff also leeching out of the grain at that point when your doing that much extraction. If you back off to 70 or 75%, your getting a better tasting beer out of that wort.

The Sunday Session; 9-13-2009 Approx. 2 hours into the show.

After Tasty ask's Palmer about bigger brewers shooting for higher numbers, 80-85%, Palmer say's

"I think, when your mash pH is spot on your going to get better conversion and higher extract efficiency from the same amount of grains. What we could be looking at there is they know their system well enough and the recipe well enough that they are getting optimum mash pH, getting better extract efficiency from that amount of grain, and there by, because the pH is spot on, getting a better flavor out of that beer."

"It may not be a quicker conversion but maybe less lautering necessary"

RJS
Head Brewer of Kauai's Hindu Monastery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So, both ranges are good, but as always, it depends on several key factors.

RJS

Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Everyone understands this concept without further discussion? i dont think so...

RJS

Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

It's nothing earthshakingly new, and I'm not sure how much I believe or agree with it. OTOH, I don't completely disagree, either. I don't think you can make a blanket statement one way or the other.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not to be a jerk, but that show was in 2009. It's been covered in newer books and discussed a lot with regards to BIAB and no sparge brewing. All-grain brewers seem to be paying a lot more attention to mash pH as well nowadays.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i guess no one has seen the thread i just did about an experienced brewer praising his 90% efficiency to a newer brewer...

RJS

Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
rockfish42
Recipes 

There are always going to be guys railing on about their crazy efficiency numbers. I'd go nuts if I made it a point to argue with every one of them about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Is this coming off as an argument? Im under the impression these forums are for the spread of good brewing information and the putting a halt to misinformation.

Does a tip in 2009 from john palmer go outdated? Has not the basics of brewing been around for thousands of years, still being taught today?

You know, believe it or not, there is a new brewer everyday asking basic questions that someone answered long ago, im merely trying to help bring some of it through.

RJS

Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
It's nothing earthshakingly new, and I'm not sure how much I believe or agree with it. OTOH, I don't completely disagree, either. I don't think you can make a blanket statement one way or the other.
Its not, from my view, a blanket statement. Palmer is answering a question concerning both sides of a coin. In the concept, any Efficiency is fine, depending on the situation.

RJS

Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
rockfish42
Recipes 

Sort of :P
If someone asks about it, tell them information that is correct to the best of your knowledge. I'm not sure there's enough of a controversy among experienced brewers on the topic to generate a discussion. Most people value consistency and a good finished product more than chasing efficiency, as a pound or two of grain is fairly inexpensive.

Quick Reply