Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   Gravity of Sweet Potato? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/gravity-sweet-potato-363447/)

exhumedatbirth 10-25-2012 01:15 PM

Gravity of Sweet Potato?
 
I'm brewing up a sweet potato stout this weekend, and plan on adding 5# of roasted, mashed sweet potato..does anyone have any guess as to how much this will effect my OG? I've tried a few recipe calculators, and searches but have come up with nothing..

Misplaced_Canuck 10-25-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exhumedatbirth (Post 4530512)
I'm brewing up a sweet potato stout this weekend, and plan on adding 5# of roasted, mashed sweet potato..does anyone have any guess as to how much this will effect my OG? I've tried a few recipe calculators, and searches but have come up with nothing..

Check out this post: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/sweet-potato-mash-experiment-211386/#post3354406

You will need to cook the potatoes fully. In my case of using plain white potatoes, I cooked them in a water boil, and then mashed them and liquified them in mash water before adding to the main mash.

MC

stillbrewin 10-25-2012 01:47 PM

The sugar content in sweet potatoes is 4.2 grams for every 3.5 ounces of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes average about 22% starch and 5-6% sugar for a total of 27-28% fermentable material. So basically 5 lbs of sweet potato would be the same as adding 1lb of grain to your grain bill.

Misplaced_Canuck 10-25-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillbrewin (Post 4530582)
The sugar content in sweet potatoes is 4.2 grams for every 3.5 ounces of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes average about 22% starch and 5-6% sugar for a total of 27-28% fermentable material. So basically 5 lbs of sweet potato would be the same as adding 1lb of grain to your grain bill.

5x22% would mean the same as may be one pound of 100% fermentable, aka, SUGAR, not grain. Lots of non-fermentables in grain.

MC

stillbrewin 10-25-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck (Post 4530637)
5x22% would mean the same as may be one pound of 100% fermentable, aka, SUGAR, not grain. Lots of non-fermentables in grain.

MC

Hmm I may have been a bit hasty in my reply. 5 lbs should be about 96 grams of sugar or aprx 1/5th of a lb. Also the starch to sugar to conversion would equal about 2.2 lbs of grain. That is assuming that you get the same efficiency as your grain, and you figure 50% fermentable material in malted barly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.