Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gravity question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumsboa09 View Post
Also, can't say as to where I heard this but is it not ok to leave a lid on cracked during my boil to cut down the loss? I've heard it's not good to do that due to the hot break.
I do it with every boil. I tend to lose more than the average bear on my evaporation rates so anything I can do to keep it in the pot I do. No harm, no foul yet.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I do not boil with a lid and don't taste a corn flavor in them either but I was hoping that using a lid would save on boil off. I'm trying boil all this mess in an 8 gallon pot. So boil off is most likely my issue which means I should count on making smaller batches to fit in the pot until I get new pots, is this a good assumption?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Something like this will help with boil-overs: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermcap-s-1-oz.html.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well that's a pretty neat thing but I'd rather not add more junk into the beer ya know. I really appreciate your quick responses. At this point I need a bigger pot so I don't boil over. I'm 6 batches in on this home brew gig and its constantly changing. I do enjoy it tho. Maybe shouldn't have jumped right into all grain brewing huh

Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Well that's a pretty neat thing but I'd rather not add more junk into the beer ya know. I really appreciate your quick responses. At this point I need a bigger pot so I don't boil over. I'm 6 batches in on this home brew gig and its constantly changing. I do enjoy it tho. Maybe shouldn't have jumped right into all grain brewing huh
A larger pot is definitely good. My 10 gallon works well for my 6 gallon batches. As far as jumping in to all grain, I'd say that's the only fun way to do it. If I weren't formulating my own recipes and tweaking my brewing water, etc, I'd get bored pretty quickly. Plus, the mash smells great.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I agree to all of the above! Well thanks again for all the fast responses. I'll be investing in a 10 gallon pot.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Fermcap isn't going to impart anything other than keeping the foam down. I use an 8gal pot and it's my only saving grace for not getting boil overs. I've also been known to start the boil with a smaller amount of wort and slowly add more as the boil goes on to replace what's been boiled off. About .25gal at 45min, another .25gal at 30 and more as needed until 10min before flameout. Have to time it in between the hop schedule and adjust accordingly, but it works. Just try not to burn yourself!

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Pre boil gravity was 1.040. I was trying to hit 1.070 but only hit 1.061.
I think your pre-boil gravity might be more of an issue here than any boil-overs; going from 1.040 to 1.070 is nearly doubling the sugar concentration -- which means boiling off almost half the water.

Unless you're intentionally doing something weird, you're not going to be boiling off more than 20% or so of your pre-boil water, so, you should be looking for pre-boil gravity that's under the post-boil target by 20% or less. A 1.040 pre-boil probably won't break 1.048 when all is said and done (you must've boiled off about 2 gallons to hit 1.061, which is a lot), and you'd want to start around 1.056 pre-boil to hit 1.070 post.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera

I think your pre-boil gravity might be more of an issue here than any boil-overs; going from 1.040 to 1.070 is nearly doubling the sugar concentration -- which means boiling off almost half the water.

Unless you're intentionally doing something weird, you're not going to be boiling off more than 20% or so of your pre-boil water, so, you should be looking for pre-boil gravity that's under the post-boil target by 20% or less. A 1.040 pre-boil probably won't break 1.048 when all is said and done (you must've boiled off about 2 gallons to hit 1.061, which is a lot), and you'd want to start around 1.056 pre-boil to hit 1.070 post.
I mashed 18 lbs of grain with 6 gallons at 152. Then sparged with just under 5 gallons at 170. Not sure how else to rinse more sugar out of a ten gallon cooler. I sparge super slow too so I don't get channeling.

Quick Reply