Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gravity and Dilution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Default Gravity and Dilution

I brewed last night and used a partial mash. I had a total of nine pounds of grain and three pounds of DME. The estimated gravity was 1.066 based on a 5.5 gal batch. Everything went fine and according to schedule. My boil was about 4 gallons and so I topped off the fermenter with water. I poured one gallon of water in the fermenter with about half of the cooled wort, then pitched the one quart starter and shook up the bucket good. Then I added the rest of the wort. The bucket was still a little low so I poured another half gallon in, without really stirring. I then checked the gravity by using a sanitized turkey baster to take some wort off the top. The gravity corrected for temp was 1.050. My question is, could the last half gallon of water diluted the top part of the wort, not mixing through the whole fermenter? With the wort gravity being heavier than water I can see how this is possible, or is it just wishful thinking?

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Could be if you didn't stir it good.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I'm not really worried about it. At worst it's just a little lower in gravity that I wanted it. I dont really think that's the case though considering almost half of the fermentables are from the DME. I would have to be way off on the extraction from the grain to put the gravity that low. It's gotta be closer to the 1.066 than the 1.050. It's bubbling at a good clip right now so I won't worry. I'll relax and have ...another homebrew.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply