Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Grainy" Aftertaste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
It could be sparge pH, as well. I actually expect that it is sparge pH. Often, brewers who go through great lengths to treat their mash water neglect to treat their sparge water in the same way and end up raising the pH to problem levels while sparging.
So for light colored beers, do you add 5.2 stabalizer to your sparge water too?
Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Yes, I do.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
Yes, I do.
TL
Cool. Thanks. I'm attempting to do a Blond Ale for my second AG and our water here is pretty well suited for Ambers.

I think at some point, I might play around with water chemistry. Right now, it is probably better to focus on getting the AG steps down.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

For lighter brews, use Pilsner malt instead of pale.

Make sure to boil for 90 minutes to avoid DMS.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While it is very well possible you could have extraced some undesirable tannins. One should also consider the malt you used. There are some domestic (North American) malts that impart a certain grainy phenol.
So what kind of malt did you use?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Tannins (polyphenols) are found in all barley malt and are contained mainly in the husk. These compounds are more insoluble in acidic solutions and more soluble in basic (alkaline) solutions. I agree you should check your pH or if you do not have a way to do this, assume your pH is too alkaline and add some pH stabilizer.

Dr Malt

Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am def going to pay attention to PH in future brews. I think i will try the 5.2 PH buffer. I do have a feeling that my water is hard(even though the only water report the local water authority could provide for me just told me there was no poison in the water, which i guess is assuring). Can you guys think of any reason why the PH would not have had an effect on the Belgian wit? From reading over the PH section of "How to Brew" it seems like the wit would be even more susceptible than the PA as it is lighter. Thank you all for the great info so far and in advance!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #18
bluelou6
Recipes 

Going in a different direction here but how was your attenuation? Did you use a starter? In the past when I haven't used a starter and underpitched, my beer would not attenuate as well as it should have. It left a sweet taste.

Just my $0.02

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Attenuation seemed good. I ended at 1.009 and 1.011. I did not use a starter as i used dry yeast for both.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #20
Nostrildamus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going in another direction altogether because I know, as brewers, many of us are a bit nerdy and revel in the minutia of pH, mineral compounds etc.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with a Hefeweizen. I finally cracked the mystery by accident one day. It was suspended sediment in his beer.

Though the crush may be alright, there is no doubt some small amount of grain flour/dust that make it through unless you have filtered your beer. Cold conditioning tends to cure this ill after the fact so long as you don't shake the bottle or keg . A good crush, a solid vorlauf, and a well set and undisturbed grain bed (fly sparging) are good ways to avoid particulate suspension.

I solved my friend's problem with his Hefeweizen by accidentally not swirling the sediment in the bottom of the bottle and adding it to the glass. What should have only been yeast actually had some fine grain particulate in it and was resulting in an off-taste.

Unless your local water is way off normal you can usually get away with fairly standard brewing procedures. Granted, light beers such as PAs, Blondes and Lagers are much better when brewed with altered water, but they can be done without water alteration. I know this is not ideal, and as a nerd I'll still alter my water. I mention this only because I believe pH to be a less likely culprit than particulate.

Start simple and work towards the more complicated. The poster with the suggestion regarding malt type and it having a grainy taste offers a very good starting point as well.

Heb no oana Hoibe hoch, du Hund!

Drinking: Fight Night Pale Ale
Fermenting: 100 pints o' Stout

Quick Reply