Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Grainy" Aftertaste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
jcb317
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default "Grainy" Aftertaste

I just finished up a split batch of a pale ale, a pretty close variation to Ed Ws Haus Ale. Both beers taste good, but i notice a somewhat sweet grainy aftertaste. I brewed a blonde ale several months ago and i noticed the same flavor. At the local homebrew meeting one brewer thought i had extracted too much tannin in the mash. Is that the characteristic you would expect from that? I have recently (within the last 6-8 batches) switched to doing batch sparging, i am pretty sure my temperatures have been on par (168F sprage water) with mash temps in the 150s. Besides that i cant think of anything else i changed in my process, and like i said the majority of what I made has not had this in the aftertaste. Any suggestions on what i can look into to eliminate this on future brews?

Thanks in Advance,
Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I agree that you may have extracted tannins. Its hard to tell though if you didn't record your mash temp. In the 150's is too vague to narrow things down. For future brewing, always monitor your mash temps...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did monitor temps. I mashed my Blonde at 154F for 60m, and the Pale at 152F for 60m.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

It does sound like tannins. Your temperatures sound fine. How long did you mash? Did you check the pH of your mash and sparge? How fine is your crush?

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe you can try adding the 5.2 PH stabalizer to your mash. Either that or you can look into the wonderful world of water chemistry.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Also did you vorlauf to ensure the wort was clear before each draining. This is the step that bit me a couple times. Ph is another possible problem if you are not monitoring it, especially during the last sparge.
Craig

Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did not check PH at any stage. My mash time was 60m on both batches, and i am not sure about the crush. My LHBS does that. I did brew a wit right after (same day) as the pale ale with crushed grain from the same mill, crushed minutes after the crush for the pale's grain bill.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4459 Times on 3246 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I'm no water expert, but I am wondering if you're only getting this grainy aftertaste with the lighter colored beers, and not with darker beers. TexLaw asking about your PH put my train of thought on your water.

Isn't it true that the "lighter" beers will exhibit a grainy taste if your water is too alkaline, more so than the darker beers like stouts? So, if you mashed at those temperatures, the only thing I can think of is mash ph being a factor.

From Howtobrew.com:
The term "hardness" refers to the amount of calcium and magnesium ions in the water. Hard water commonly causes scale on pipes. Water hardness is balanced to a large degree by water alkalinity. Alkaline water is high in bicarbonates. Water that has high alkalinity causes the mash pH to be higher than it would be normally. Using dark roasted malts in the mash can balance alkaline water to achieve the proper mash pH, and this concept will be explored later in this chapter
Also, here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-2.html

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Isn't it true that the "lighter" beers will exhibit a grainy taste if your water is too alkaline, more so than the darker beers like stouts? So, if you mashed at those temperatures, the only thing I can think of is mash ph being a factor.
It could be sparge pH, as well. I actually expect that it is sparge pH. Often, brewers who go through great lengths to treat their mash water neglect to treat their sparge water in the same way and end up raising the pH to problem levels while sparging.

Yes, darker beers have less problems with grainy aftertastes, as the darker grains do more to lower your mash pH and help keep it down while sparging.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would go with the water being alkaline. I have had similar problems. I now use distilled water for my light colored beers, and this take care of most of the problem, the rest as I found out was DMS.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Quick Reply