Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grains going bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
NicoleBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Grains going bad

So I bought grains towards the end of July before leaving for vacation with every intention of brewing before I left. Time got away from me (I have a very busy baby!) and when we got back from vacation we got caught up with kitchen renovation, etc etc. My grains unfortunately are unfortunately milled already and in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I know they don't stay fresh for long but how long would they bee okay like that? What would the difference be with fresh milled grains and these in a beer? Is it too late to use them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

So about a month, six weeks? They should be fine. They might be stale, though, so taste them first.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
NicoleBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So worst case scenario what will happen if they were stale and I brewed with them? I've tasted grain before it was milled but this has already been milled. How would I be able to tell if its stale?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
steveoc
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Taste them. If they taste good, then they should be fine.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What would the resulting wort be like if the grains had gone bad? I too have some milled grains tucked away in an airtight bag.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 447

RDWHAHB. Then go ahead and brew with it. It'll be fine.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
RDWHAHB. Then go ahead and brew with it. It'll be fine.
I don't think the OP is worried about anything. I'm not either. We are both just curious as to how the resulting wort would be different with older grains. That question hasn't been answered yet. Anyone have a thought?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
MichaelT
Recipes 

What will come out of stale grains - nothing good, really! I know you feel pity for your money and your grains - but honestly, what are hoping for? Why don't you take all that to a farm to feed stock? In this case you'll have at least any use. Next time just take care of it, use grain moisture meter or what-so-ever to keep it dry and fresh.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It is not to late to use them, not even close. If they had been sitting in a brown bags, then maybe, but in a sealed bag, they'll be fine.

What you might lose is some vibrancy of flavors in the final product. It is not really any different than with any other food item. The only way it would taste bad, would be if the grains went rancid, which would be easy to taste in the milled grains. If it is rancid tasting, or you don't like the taste otherwise, then don't brew with it. If it tastes OK, brew with it.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleBrewer View Post
So I bought grains towards the end of July before leaving for vacation with every intention of brewing before I left. Time got away from me (I have a very busy baby!) and when we got back from vacation we got caught up with kitchen renovation, etc etc. My grains unfortunately are unfortunately milled already and in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I know they don't stay fresh for long but how long would they bee okay like that? What would the difference be with fresh milled grains and these in a beer? Is it too late to use them?
It may be too late. Kind of depends on how dry they got kept even more than higher temperatures. If it's hot and humid, and you leave them in plastic, at some point you may get moldy grains. I would do a visual and smell test before eating three hand fulls.

Of course you probably live in the high desert and have very low humidities.

As for the grains enzyme activity, I think ground malt sitting around could lose a little converting power.

Quick Reply