Grain Mill Rec's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure this has been covered, but with the holidays coming up, I am looking to replace my JSP MaltMill. I donated it to a good friend when I moved so he'd have one. I am leanin towards the 2-roller MonsterMill. I anticipate brewing around once a month, 10 gallon all-grain batches. I see that NB has MonsterMills and MonsterBrewingHardware has some newer ones.

Thanks!

I use a $25 Corona style mill with good success. But, when I upgrade I plan on the MM2 2.0. It looks to be the best overall value. Service being the killer on some of the others.

Can't go wrong with a Monster Mill. I've had the basic MM2 for nearly 3 years and it's been awesome with not a single issue. Also check out Farmhouse Brewing. Their MM2 includes the base and hopper.

Can't go wrong with a Monster Mill. I've had the basic MM2 for nearly 3 years and it's been awesome with not a single issue. Also check out Farmhouse Brewing. Their MM2 includes the base and hopper.

Yup...leaning towards MM2-2.0 with base and hopper. Will my Dewalt 18V cordless drill fit the shaft on it?

The 2.0 has a 1/2" shaft (as opposed to 3/8" for the regular MM2), so if your DeWalt has a 1/2" chuck, it'll fit.

Yup...leaning towards MM2-2.0 with base and hopper. Will my Dewalt 18V cordless drill fit the shaft on it?

If its a half inch drill then yes it would fit but I don't think it'll have the ass to turn it.

I have a MM2-2.0 (with SST roller upgrade and base and hoper) and love it.

The 2.0 has a 1/2" shaft (as opposed to 3/8" for the regular MM2), so if your DeWalt has a 1/2" chuck, it'll fit.

Cool...I'll look into it. I've had it for 8 years. Never measured nor wondered what size the chuck is. I guess I'll measure it.

If its a half inch drill then yes it would fit but I don't think it'll have the ass to turn it.

My 18v Ryobi has no problem crankin' my MM2 with 1.5" rollers, but, yeah, I would think that those 2" rollers on the 2.0 would require a bit more suds to crank 'em.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the same purchase. My only drills are 3/8 and probably are too high speed/low torque anyway. So as part of the overall mill investment I'm going to buy this Harbor Freight 1/2" drill. It's reasonably priced and pops up over and over on mill threads here at HBT.

Curious why you parted with your JSP? Love mine

It was a moment of weakness. My brew partner relied on my mill. I moved. I donated the mill to him. I'd had it since before I started all-grain and LOVED it. In fact, I'd consider a new JSP for just that reason. I had it mounted to some 1/2" plywood with the original hopper on it. It carries on grinding grain.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You can probably pick from any of the top makers/models out there and be perfectly happy with your purchase. The down side for you is that you'll always compare it to your original JSP - for better or worse ;). You choice only comes down to how much you're willing to spend :D

Curious why you parted with your JSP? Love mine

It was a moment of weakness. My brew partner relied on my mill. I moved. I donated the mill to him. I'd had it since before I started all-grain and LOVED it. In fact, I'd consider a new JSP for just that reason. I had it mounted to some 1/2" plywood with the original hopper on it. It carries on grinding grain.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The MM2 2.0 is an awesome mill. I've had mine for two years and have never had a problem. Its a beast!

Back