Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain mill for Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
amcclai7
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Grain mill for Christmas

I'm getting one, hopefully. And if not for Xmas on my birthday which is Jan 10. Anyway, I need some suggestions on what to get. I plan to use it for all-grain batches so it needs to be able to handle 10lbs of grain. I don't need a hopper that big mind you, it justs needs to be able to handle that amount of work repetedly over the long hual. Also, I don't care to hand crank. My main concern is the quality of the crack followed closey by convenience. Finally, I was hoping for something around $50. She could go as high as $75-80 but I would prefer to keep it around 50.

Any suggestions? They will all be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
PoppinCaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That seems to be the uncharted valley in terms of new grain mills. Low, you're looking at a Corona mill around $20-30, and the next step up is a roller mill at $80, a torn down version from Crankandstein. Anybody chime in here if I missed something in the middle.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

That $80 at Crankandstein isn't going to get you a grain mill, just the rollers. Realistically you need some sort of base and some sort of hopper to direct the grain. If you want a roller mill, you're going to spend $100 (Crankandstein, Cereal Killer, Barley Crusher are all competing at that lowest price point), but if you don't want to spend that you're going to either have to find one used (never seen that, but hey, it could happen) or go to a corona mill, which will be $20-$40

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You don't want to get a corona mill, spend the extra bucks and get a roller mill. Make sure they are adjustable. There is no difference between getting your grain crushed for you and getting a corona mill.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Assuming you are going to use the mill over the long term (more than a year or two), I would suggest you continue saving until you can buy a good quality mill setup. I have a no name mill and it has served me well for a few years, but it has had its frustrations. On brewday, if your mill does not work well it ruins your day. The next mill I purchase is going to be of higher quality and dependability. Cost will be secondary.

Dr Malt

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix404 View Post
You don't want to get a corona mill, spend the extra bucks and get a roller mill. Make sure they are adjustable. There is no difference between getting your grain crushed for you and getting a corona mill.

Reading other threads on the topic there are many people that have been using Corona mills their entire brewing "careers". I guess the quality of the mill would be more hit or miss though.

The big difference is in buying in bulk Save money) and consistency (know what to expect).

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A corona mill will get you both those things. If you ever want to experiment with grain conditioning and tight crushes you will have to get an adjustable roller mill. I have one so I am biased but it is my single favorite piece of equipment after my brew pot, MLT, and immersion cooler. I can not imagine brewing without it. It is pricey but I consider it well worth it.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, since somebody already did the obligatory "hey, let's dump on the Corona mills," that must mean it's time for me to jeer at people who spend $100 or more on them roller-dinguses.

But.....I ain't gonna do that. Instead, I'll take the high road and just say that I've milled a lot of malt in 2.5 years with my Corona, with no issues at all. Cost was $23 delivered from Discount Tommy on eBay, and nothing for an old water jug for a hopper and the old bucket I mounted it in and the drill I already had that I drive it with.

For more info, search on "Ugly Junk"

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Well, since somebody already did the obligatory "hey, let's dump on the Corona mills," that must mean it's time for me to jeer at people who spend $100 or more on them roller-dinguses.

But.....I ain't gonna do that. Instead, I'll take the high road and just say that I've milled a lot of malt in 2.5 years with my Corona, with no issues at all. Cost was $23 delivered from Discount Tommy on eBay, and nothing for an old water jug for a hopper and the old bucket I mounted it in and the drill I already had that I drive it with.

For more info, search on "Ugly Junk"
Been using my Corona for almost a year now and have to say it's the best $25.00 I've ever spent. It gives me a consistent 78-80% efficiency using BIAB/No Sparge. I picked it up here in the Classifieds from another member & modified it a bit with some hardware I had in the garage. Would I like to have a new roller mill, sure. Can I justify spending the money after having a Corona Mill, nope. Just my $.02...
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2447 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

If you want to get the most bang for the buck for $50, get a Corona style mill (maybe used off ebay) and a heavy duty drill from Harbor Freight. (And consider that you are rolling the dice with anything electrical from Harbor Frieght...)

A Corona mill will work well enough, even if it's not as sexy as a roller mill. I built mine own roller mill, but I've seen enough coronas in action to know that their crush is just fine.

You aren't going to get any kind of roller mill, new, for close to $50.

Additionally, you could maybe mount a water jug upside down on a corona mill for a hopper. With a roller mill, it's probably going to be a bit more work to mount a hopper.

Quick Reply