Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Vongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grain mill

I will be buying my 1st grain mill in the Next week or two. Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding brand and setting up.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts

A lot of folks have good luck using the "corona style mills". I didn't want to go through the hassle of fine tuning one though so bought a "barley crusher" last week. I'll be testing it out this weekend. Most on here will opt for the barley crusher from what I've read (granted it's in your budget).

Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Get a good one.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Vongo
Recipes 

Well a good one is what I am aiming for. Does the corona y work well for 10lb plus grain bills?

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
bmud0314
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have used my corona style twice now. Each time was about 10-12 lbs and took under 15 mins. Fastest? No. Cheaper? Yes. I have gotten about 80% eff. each time. I am sure a Barley Crusher would be sweet, but I am happy enough with what I have. If you want the perfect tool for the job and are willing to spend the cash then go with a BC. If cash is tight, a corona will work perfectly fine.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
mendnwngs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just did my first brew with my shiny new Barley crusher, last weekend..

My mash efficiency went up from ~65% with the LHBS crush to ~77% with the BC default 0.039" gap. The metal machinework is clean, and seems top-notch. The knurling is sharp, and clean.. The woodwork, however.. The plate its sitting on was crushed in one corner (MDF board) the routing around the outer edge has a few rather large warbles in it, and the wooden crank handle was cut at an angle..

That said, functionally it doesnt make a rip of difference.. Mill works as designed, and makes a good looking crush.

Its easy to use, and moves through grain pretty quick with a drill attached.

I got the 7 Lb hopper version, I'd imagine with a cheap piece of sheet metal from home depot, and a pop riveter, you could easily enlarge the hopper, but 7 Lbs is plenty for me.. I just fill, crush, and repeat again if needs be.

-Jason

Respect yeast. (Its the only culture I have!)

Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't agree that most would buy the Barley Crusher. I'm sure there are equally as many people using corona, crankandstein, monster and JSP malt mills. Each has its own merits. And, it seems everyone loves whatever mill they have.

Here are some points you should consider though:

1. Is the gap adjustable? How important this feature might be probably depends on if you plan to use grains other than malted barley.

2. If you can adjust the gap, how do you do it? I like having an adjustible gap, with detents on mine.

3. Will you be able to motorize it?

4. Do you want one that comes with a hopper or are you confident in making one yourself?

For the record, I have a CrankandStein 3d with stainless rollers and 1/2" drive shaft. It cost me about $260. I've also motorized it on a stainless cart. The crush is beautiful and I couldn't imagine using anything else. But you can certainly spend less to get the same results.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Vongo
Recipes 

Great info ... Keep it coming.

-Harold Rudolph

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I'm close to buying a mill as well, and I'm pretty set on the BC. Includes a hopper for the same price as other mills.

I do have two horror stories about the BC, though - both my LHBS and a friend of mine use a BC and they've recently been having problems with the slave roller not engaging. You'll be driving the one roller, but the other will be stuck so no grain is actually getting pushed through. Not sure what to make of that.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
I do have two horror stories about the BC, though - both my LHBS and a friend of mine use a BC and they've recently been having problems with the slave roller not engaging. You'll be driving the one roller, but the other will be stuck so no grain is actually getting pushed through. Not sure what to make of that.
That happens with mine if I spin it in the wrong direction. Found that out when I first powered it with the motor spinning the wrong way (Didn't hurt the mill at all though).

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Quick Reply