Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain to Glass Video (15 gallon batch)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Premnasbiaculeatus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Grain to Glass Video (15 gallon batch)

I condensed 5-6 weeks of brewing into a 19 minute video. I start with the mash and end with a pint of beer. Just thought I would share my my very cheaply improvised brew setup. I've got a no strike/ no sparge mash system I built for pennies that gets me efficiencies in the 70 - 80% range. I brew 15 gallons per batch and keep enough beer racked and kegged at all times that I never run out.

PS: I know my setup is a little shabby, so be kind. My primary brewing intention is to be as cheap and technically unconventional as possible, and still make drinkable beer.

Last edited by Premnasbiaculeatus; 07-06-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: video not embedding

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
bigdongsr94
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice video. It gets me interested in creating one myself. I am EBIAB and currently have no pump. Anyhow nice job. Jealous of your pipeline.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Sammy86
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Excellent video! Very nice and simple set up and producing good beer that is what counts!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Thanks for watching guys. I really appreciate it!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
will_rouse
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm in complete love with your set up! I'm going to use that idea and step it down to 10 gallon batches (Hopefully you don't mind). What size heating element did you use?

“I don't think I've drunk enough beer to understand that.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
cdunn1221
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Really nice video! I do only extract right now, but eventually will get into all grain. This video has given me some good ideas and money saving ideas to start out with so thanks and cheers.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
broncosmoker
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

That is a pretty cool setup. I have a few questions about it.

1) The cooler it looks like you are constantly cycling the water, how did you add the extra holes to make them water tight for the drain and return lines since it looks like the original drain has the heating element installed?

2) What size of element is that and what voltage are you running? What software are you using to control it? Where are you measuring the temperature at?

3) What is the size of the cooler?

4) The stand offs that you used to elevate your grain screen, what did you use, how tall are they and how did you attach them?

5) Your grain screen. I like the use of the light diffuser piece. Did you use a soft screen door screen or a stiffer one, and how did you attach it or is it just pressure fitted?

Again pretty cool video and neat setup, thanks for sharing it with us.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Looks like a solid setup to me - liked the voices who you talked about oxidation . The only gap I saw (might bs to sell more better bottles) is the use of plastic water bottles. Supposedly they're more permeable to oxygen, so longer term aging could also give you oxidation. If you're not seeing a problem, then it's probably fine.

What's that pump and heating element you're using?

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_rouse View Post
I'm in complete love with your set up! I'm going to use that idea and step it down to 10 gallon batches (Hopefully you don't mind). What size heating element did you use?

4500 watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdunn1221 View Post
Really nice video! I do only extract right now, but eventually will get into all grain. This video has given me some good ideas and money saving ideas to start out with so thanks and cheers.

My pleasure; Thanks for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosmoker View Post
That is a pretty cool setup. I have a few questions about it.

1) The cooler it looks like you are constantly cycling the water, how did you add the extra holes to make them water tight for the drain and return lines since it looks like the original drain has the heating element installed?

2) What size of element is that and what voltage are you running? What software are you using to control it? Where are you measuring the temperature at?

3) What is the size of the cooler?

4) The stand offs that you used to elevate your grain screen, what did you use, how tall are they and how did you attach them?

5) Your grain screen. I like the use of the light diffuser piece. Did you use a soft screen door screen or a stiffer one, and how did you attach it or is it just pressure fitted?

Again pretty cool video and neat setup, thanks for sharing it with us.

1) The original drain is in the side by the pumps suction line. I still use it when I clean it out. I used a hole saw to drill out the front for the heating element. Everything is sealed with silicone sealant on the inside. On the outside everything is epoxied into place.

2)The element is 4500 watts 240 volt. I plug into the outlet for my clothes dryer. My controls run off of one 120 volt phase. I use a Johnson A419 controller the same model that is popular to use on keezers, i have it wired to an icecube relay that engages / disengages a two pole lighting relay that fires the element.

3) 120 Qt. / 30 gal.

4)They are 1.25" wooden dowels I measured them so I would have 8 gallons on the bottom level which works out to about 4ish inches or so.

5)It's the stiffer aluminum type of screen, I cut it into a rectangle and folded it like a Chinese food box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
Looks like a solid setup to me - liked the voices who you talked about oxidation . The only gap I saw (might bs to sell more better bottles) is the use of plastic water bottles. Supposedly they're more permeable to oxygen, so longer term aging could also give you oxidation. If you're not seeing a problem, then it's probably fine.

What's that pump and heating element you're using?
The pump is a household utility pump the kind you use to clear out your flooded basement. It's made by a company called flotec. It's not "food grade" but I checked the plastic and the polybutadine the impeller as made from with the manufacturer, and it all seems pretty non toxic. You could use any pump you want I just found one really cheap on amazon. The heating element is for a hotwater tank. 240 volts 4500 watts. Not sure the manufacurer just a random amazon purchase.

If interested, here's another video about construction of the mash tun;

Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

It's all about the massive stockpile. Nice work.

Quick Reply