Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain Crushing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Seeves1982
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grain Crushing

The video I watched on All Grain showed crushing grain with a grain mill. They said you could use a coffee grinder, but I would think that would pulverize the grain. A grain mill cost $150... Is there an extremely effective way of crushing the grain without a mill that is inexpensive?

Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There are less expensive mills based on the Corona flour mill. They can be set to crush grain, not make flour. A fair amount of work but only $20-40. less used.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Most homebrew shops will mill the grains for you as well, usually for free.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
Seeves1982
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Most homebrew shops will mill the grains for you as well, usually for free.
See I wondered about this. What are the pros and cons of ordering grain crushed vs whole?

I figured whole would be fresher

Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Its not really a matter of freshness since the store just mills the whole grain before they send it to you.

Whole gives you more flexibility and control. You can order bulk amounts of a few malts (2 row, MO, Munich etc). Then if you keep a few lbs of some crystals, dark and other specialty malts on hand, you can pretty much make any style of beer out there. Brewing becomes easier. You can just break out the scale and measure out the ingredients.

There is also a good bit of cost savings by buying in bulk. Also, most brewers see a rise in efficiency by milling their own grain. You usually can't adjust the mills at a HBS (Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse will though!)

Old 07-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use a corona mill it cost me like 20 shipped and I had all the other stuff I needed to get it working. I have only used it twice now but my efficiencies were 75 and 79 so it works well.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This has come up a couple times. I would see if your LHBS will change their mill's settings for you, otherwise I would look at a corona mill or another commercially available variety. My efficiency went up ~10% when I started milling my own grains.

Kyle

Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Chips
Recipes 

Have you read through this thread? Just picked up my pasta machine at Micheal's for $20 and am going to knurl the rollers using a drillbit the way the thread describes! For $20 you really can't go wrong.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

As mentioned before.the Corona type mills work well and are so much cheaper. I grind my grain really fine and have been in the 86% efficiency range. I think I had mine on my door for something like 23 bucks off of ebay.

Until I build a more permanent holder for it, I clamp it to a sawhorse and tie a plastic bag around it. I also hook up my drill instead of the handle it comes with. I did 19 lbs of grain in about 10 minutes.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Its not really a matter of freshness since the store just mills the whole grain before they send it to you.

Whole gives you more flexibility and control. You can order bulk amounts of a few malts (2 row, MO, Munich etc). Then if you keep a few lbs of some crystals, dark and other specialty malts on hand, you can pretty much make any style of beer out there. Brewing becomes easier. You can just break out the scale and measure out the ingredients.

There is also a good bit of cost savings by buying in bulk. Also, most brewers see a rise in efficiency by milling their own grain. You usually can't adjust the mills at a HBS (Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse will though!)
Exactly, I'd also like to add that crushed grain won't store for very long before going stale, whereas uncrushed will store for a year or more. So when you don't have a mill you pretty much have to order grain (or go to the LHBS) for each brew.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply