Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain on a budget question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
BrewTaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grain on a budget question

So us Canadians are planning a group bulk buy. I am getting ready to put in my order but want some opinions. I can get a bag of Canadian 2 Row for $35, or a bag of Weyermmans Pale for $50. I am on a university budget so the price is a factor here for sure. I am wondering what you guys would do and why? And if i went for the 2 row to save money are there any additional steps/concerns I may have to deal with?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Wankel
Recipes 

Just make sure you store it properly. I bought a bag of Maris Otter once and oblivious to the possibility of creepy crawlies over time, ended up throwing about 3/4 of it out due to bug infestation.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say that being on a budget, go for the 2-row. You can use the extra money to buy hops and specialty grains. It depends what kind of beer you like to make too.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big supper View Post
I would say that being on a budget, go for the 2-row. You can use the extra money to buy hops and specialty grains. It depends what kind of beer you like to make too.
I agree.

You can use the 2-row for just about anything.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

for storage its best to make sure you have access to a vacuum sealer. vac in 1 gallon bags or get some large roll bags and bag in them. try to keep them all the same weight in the regular weights your recipes call for.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
BrewTaster
Recipes 

I was going to use a large rubbermaid container to store my goodies, would that do ok? I assume that until the grain is crushed, theres no "staling" effect, assuming i use it over the next few months?

And is there any additional considerations/challanges with working with 2 row instead of the pale?

Thanks for all your help guys! I love this place

Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Is that a 50 lb bag you're buying for $35 Canadian? If so, Wow -- I'm envious. That's under $30 US. What a great buy!

btw, I agree with others -- get the Canadian 2 row. That's great stuff that you can brew almost anything with.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
beds
Recipes 

I have been using that Canad Malting 2-row for everything and highly recommend you buy that. If you are getting more than 1 bag, then get a bag of crystal or munich. That 2-row is actually quite nice as mlking says, and is a big step up from old 6-row. It should last for a year before you need to worry about it. Beware the mice...

Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #9
BrewTaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beds View Post
I have been using that Canad Malting 2-row for everything and highly recommend you buy that. If you are getting more than 1 bag, then get a bag of crystal or munich. That 2-row is actually quite nice as mlking says, and is a big step up from old 6-row. It should last for a year before you need to worry about it. Beware the mice...
To mkling, yea its a 55pound bag (25kg), and it is a pretty good price IMO. Plus i like supporting our canadian farmers (really its just cuz its cheap lol). And to beds, thats great! Im glad you think so highly of it. Im excited to have all this stuff.

I am thinkin of getting a full bag of 2 row, along with 10#'s caramel 60 or something? Any other recommendations?

And is the rubbermaid storage idea good?

Thanks again for the help dudes! (and chicks)

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
westerntrout
Recipes 

love those gambrinus canadian malts!

Quick Reply