Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Graff and hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Graff and hops

So, as I awoke from a fitful night of sleep I was struck with a thought. I was drinking a few year-old ciders I had made last night and they were fantastic which brought about thinking about making graff soon. I remember the recipe is lightly hopped but, if it was made to a sufficient strength and acidity wouldn't it not have to rely on hops for preservation which is, from what I remember, the only reason to add a little hops at all? Brew it to about 8% or more and add malic acid additions or acid blend to bring the Ph to about 3-2.8 so that it doesn't require any hops for preservation at all? The cider I was drinking last night was roughly 8% and had only gotten better with long aging as per the advice from "the art of cidermaking", so what do ya'll think? try it sometime? STFU and stick to the time-honored recipe?

The only reason I think about strength and acidity is that's how you keep wine/mead from going south without the use of preservatives like hops etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The hops were there just enough to balance out the potential cloying sweetness from the crystal malt and the extract. I wouldn't see why you'd have to use them as long as you don't mind a sweet cider.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I wouldn't use very much if any crystal though, just mash some 2-row real low 149-148 with some carapils for body, Honey for a little higher gravity, maybe rye if I was feelin adventurous, boil and add to the apple cider, treat it with campden/pectic enzyme for 24-48 hours prior to pitch to decrease the change of apple protein haze. With the honey and highly fermentable wort it would still finish dry and thus, tart, crisp, and balanced without the need for hops. I see the original recipe called for DME so the sweetness wasn't able to be tweaked/controled.

Quick Reply