Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Got results back from my first competition. Help me improve my beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
mjap52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Got results back from my first competition. Help me improve my beer!

First off, this was an IPA that attenuated like crazy.

Recipe:
15# Canadian 2 Row
1# Honey malt

(all pellet hops)
.5oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Centennial @ 15
1oz Amarillo @ 15
1oz Cascade @ 15

Dry hops for 6 days
1oz Simcoe
1oz Chinook
1oz Amarillo

OG: 1.07
FG: 1.013
IBU: 67
SRM: 7

Pitched this on a US O5 yeast cake. It was only cooled to about 82* before fermentation took off, but eventually got down to 68 in 24 hours (temperature controlled freezer).

Here is what the judges said:
Aroma:
DNS and diacetyl dominate the nose. 4/12
Citrus hops at first but overwhelmed by butter and corn. No malt/fruit. 4/12

Appearance:
Clear deep gold with a thick lasting off whit head. Good retention. 3/3
Brilliant golden color. Medium fiz(handwriting ). White head that persists. 3/3

Flavor:
Pale and caramel malt fight to show through the DMS and diacetyl. Low earthy hop. Medium low bitterness. Fisnish is not clean. 7/20
Some malty sweetness, but covered by butter (diacetyl) and DMS (corny) bitterness then no hop flavor comes though. 7/20

Mouthfeel:
Medium body with some slickness from diacetyl. Moderate carbonation. 4/5
Med body and carbonation, astringent. Ok finish. 3/5

Overall Impression:
Avoid DMS by using a full rolling boil of at least one hour. DO NOT COVER THE POT. (I don't). Avoid diacetyl by leaving beer in primary for at least 2 weeks to allow yeast to metabolize diacetyl. 3/10
Good effort but reclaimed off of yeast too soon - diacetyl. Also - if boiling wort coverd can get DMS. Give it another go! 4/10

----------------------------------------------------------------

Got 21/50 overall from both judges.

So I'm guessing for the DMS I need to kick up my boil a bit -- I try to keep it just at a rolling boil, but not too vigorous, so maybe I'll be a bit more liberal next time with the regulator.

For the diacytel, I guess leave it in primary for a couple weeks and not rush it. I only left it in primary for about 6 days before I brought it to secondary to dry hop it.

Thoughts? Any other input or questions on the process?

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

BeerSmith labels 2 row as a Pilsner malt. The Brewmasters Bible recommends boiling Pilsner malt for 90 minutes to drive off DMS. Other base malts only need 60 mins.

I would leave the wort on the yeast longer definitely. Also, consider
dropping the wort temp first, then pitch. Here in texas, I've had to wait 24 hours
before pitching yeast due to hot ground water...
The US-05 specs I see say temp range of 59-75. I'd definitely try to stay in
that range. The lower the temp, the lower the overall Diacetyl level being produced.

Here's to your next entry...

Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Diacetyl can come from stressed yeast. A long lag time, underpitching, and high fermentation temperatures can all contribute to diacetyl. Since you probably overpitched and not underpitched, the long lag time and underpitching wouldn't apply, but probably the overpitching and the high pitching temperature did.

For the DMS, slow cooling could be a factor as could a low boil instead of a nice rolling boil. It could also be caused by bacterial infection (as could diacetyl) so that is another place to look.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I would follow the judge's recommendations in the "Impressions" section, and Adam's advice about pitching at lower temps. Starting at 82 and dropping is the opposite of what you want to do--start cool and let it ramp up to the tolerance level of your yeast. You can probably avoid the need for a diacetyl rest altogether if you keep the fermenter in the low to mid 60's from start to finish.

With those two changes, you should drastically improve your beer and any future competition scores. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
Billybrewer09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

A good steady boil for 60 min should be sufficient. Cool the wort quickly and pitch you yeast in the mid 60's. Hold that temp till fermentation is done and then let the temp rise naturally. Let the beer sit on the yeast for a couple weeks before dry hopping.
Yeast health and proper amounts will also help a lot.
Good luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. Got a lot of good information from this. I'm going to brew this again once my next group buy gets in, and hopefully make a killer brew!

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You over-pitched, pitched way too hot, and transferred it off the yeast too soon. Correct these things and you will improve your scores dramatically.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
You over-pitched, pitched way too hot, and transferred it off the yeast too soon. Correct these things and you will improve your scores dramatically.
Thanks! I should be brewing this again come the week of 10/1, so I'll make sure to leave it in my fermentation chamber a few hours before I pitch (I have a hard time getting it below 80 with my immersion chiller). I'll probably pitch around 68* next time.

One more question, I'm guessing the attenuation was so high for this beer due to the over pitching and high fermentation temperature. I do like my beers on the drier side, so what would you guys suggest as a good mash temperature? I'm going to guess 149-151 max. My cooler generally holds temp within 1 degree over a 60 minute mash.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Billybrewer09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

If you like drier beers, definitely 148-151. Maybe even mash longer.
You could also add some sugar to the boil.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
sburnt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm finding the comments quite helpful.

In Bottles: Russian Imperial Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Blonde Ale, Saison de Noel, Robust Porter, Kinderweisse, Dead Ringer IPA, The Innkeeper, Chinook IPA, Independence Wheat, Stellar Pilsner, Lambic (after 26-month fermentation)

Quick Reply