*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Good place to buy bulk grain in NH/MA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
ctkach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good place to buy bulk grain in NH/MA?

I'm looking for any homebrew shops in either MA or NH that sell grain in bulk. I'm really looking to purchase at least 1 50# bag of 2-row to last me through the winter. I would purchase a bag through mailorder but by the time you pay for shipping on it you aren't really saving much.

Anyone have any leads or know of any shops in MA or NH that will sell grain by the sack?

Thanks in Advance!

- Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

There's a guy I know in Pittsfield who sells bulk grain at modest cost. http://shop.berkshirecountyhomebrewsupply.com/main.sc. No physical address, but if you had business to conduct in the Western part of the state, I'm sure something could be arranged.

The regular shop I go to, Hennessy Home Brew Emporium, I know has a couple of locations (different name) out in West Boylston and in Cambridge. He sells bulk grain (OK cost, not phenomenal) at my shop, I would image he'd do the same at the other locales. http://www.beerbrew.com/

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Uncle Argyle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

I shop at www.nfghomebrew.com. in Leominster, MA. He has good prices on smaller amounts of grain (never bought bulk, although I have seen the 50lb bags).

Check out the website as he has limited hours.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Have you checked the cost at northcountrymalt.com?
I know shipping can be a real killer, but their grain prices for 55-lb sacks are pretty low so it might even out - especially since they're in new york so shipping is a little more reasonable for those of us in new england. you can get 2-row pale or pilsner malt for as low as $33 a sack at current prices. Costs about $17 shipping for me in Maine, putting it at about $50 a sack total.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There is a brew shop in Woburn that has average grain prices, their website is www.beer-wine.com. They don't say if they do grain by the sack, but I would give them and find out.

If shipping charges are an issue, it might just be a matter of going to the closest home brew store, this is just another one to add to the list. You might be close to them, personally, my car only gets about 15 miles to the gallon, the closes HB store is about 20 miles away, so driving to the HB store and back costs me just about as much as shipping.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I were up your way, I would give these guys a gingle. Their prices on the web are more than reasonable, however they do not list the bulk pricing.

http://www.brewbyyou.com/

Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA
If I were up your way, I would give these guys a gingle. Their prices on the web are more than reasonable, however they do not list the bulk pricing.

http://www.brewbyyou.com/

This is my LHBS. I get my 55 lb. sack of MO from this place for $35. Not sure on other malts but it may be the same. Bit of a drive from Boston though. There is Stout Billy's in Portsmouth. I have not dealt with them so I cannot say one way or the other.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
This is my LHBS. I get my 55 lb. sack of MO from this place for $35.
I hate you.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
ctkach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
There is a brew shop in Woburn that has average grain prices, their website is www.beer-wine.com. They don't say if they do grain by the sack, but I would give them and find out.

If shipping charges are an issue, it might just be a matter of going to the closest home brew store, this is just another one to add to the list. You might be close to them, personally, my car only gets about 15 miles to the gallon, the closes HB store is about 20 miles away, so driving to the HB store and back costs me just about as much as shipping.

I've already checked with beer-wine... they stopped selling in bulk. The excuse they gave me was they need to save their grain to fill regular orders in facing the "great grain shortage" that is upon us (hint of sarcasm there). Is anyone else a big fan of this place?

Currently, for the Boston area Modern Brewer in Cambridge is in the lead with their phone estimate of $45-50/sack... just an FYI for others, you'll need to give them a week notice as they don't have a lot of storage space and may not have it readily in stock. Those closer to Leominster can go to NFG and get a sack around $38.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WWW.kettletokeg.com would be something to look into too. Thats where i go and the owner there is helpfull, im sure he would order a sack for someoone if he didint have one in stock. He sold me what he had left of marios otter a few weeks ago and i dont even know what he charged me but i dont think it was much.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Quick Reply