Good Crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
Does this grain look properly crushed and ready for all-grain brewing?

It seems a little under-crushed to me but I may be wrong.

In case it matters, it's 13-pounds of 2-row pale with 1-pound of Carapils and 8oz of Crystal 40.

Thanks for any advice...

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

That looks like a really poor crush to me, I condition so my hulls stay mostly intact but my crush looks mostly like flour and empty hulls.

Lift some out with your hand and spread it so it's in a single layer. Hard to tell when it's all in the bag like that.

But I tend to agree with azscoob. Looks like a lot of untouched grains in there.

I agree, it doesn't look like a very good crush to me. I would run them through the mill again. I would assume they were shipped to you? Before I had my own mill, I would always request that the brewery supply store run the grain through the mill twice. If that's not possible or feasible, you could always add some time to your mash to make up for the poor crush.

Thanks everyone, there are definitely lots of intact / un-crushed husks. I'm going to ask a local brewery if they will crush these again for me.

I guess I should plan on getting my own grain mill. I'm sure it will come in handy for situations like these. :)

Thanks everyone, there are definitely lots of intact / un-crushed husks. I'm going to ask a local brewery if they will crush these again for me.

I guess I should plan on getting my own grain mill. I'm sure it will come in handy for situations like these. :)

You WANT your husks to be intact. So long as those husks are are empty, I see nothing wrong with the crush.

Back