Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > It was a good brew day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default It was a good brew day.

Went ahead and brewed a belgian wit today. After getting not so good efficiency for the my first 3 all grains. I guess i finally figured out my problem. It was the crush/bad thermometer for the first two. Just got done looking in beer smith and got 83% today. Im so damn happy. I even ended up with a little more than 5 gallons. This was probably my most relaxing brew also. Having a HLT makes things nice. Now to bring on the big barley wine with 20 pounds of grain on sun. If I can get that good of efficiency again that thing is going to be a monster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you batch sparging? if so how does the HLT help you out? im just curious.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbulger
Are you batch sparging? if so how does the HLT help you out? im just curious.
Yes, just the fact that i can heat my water up early. Just made for a slower going brew day. IMO. Before right after my sparge water was heated up I had no break, today I sat around and did some other stuff for 40 min. I probably going to start fly sparging in a few brews. Oh and the fact I only have one pot, before my first runnings where going into the bottling bucket for later transfer after I sparged.

Last edited by Ryanh1801; 06-22-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ahhh... I get it. I was never able to time my sparge with the end of my first runnings. I end up way over shooting my sparge temps by doing the runnings and heating at the same time.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Quick Reply