Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Good brew day with 2 errors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Good brew day with 2 errors

I brewed my first Wheat yesterday, used rice hulls and the mash went really well. I have two questions regarding mistakes.
1. I counted the 1/2 lb rice hulls in figuring my strike water volume. It shouldn't make that much difference but I figured the rice hulls would also absorb water and had to counted even if they were not really a fermentable grain. Was this ok?
2. I took a pre boil gravity reading at 75F which was 1.030, but in my haste to get the yeast pitched and fermenter covered, I forgot to take my OG reading after boil. I started with 7 gal preboil and ended up with 5.3/4 gal into the fermenter. Is there anyway to estimate my OG using the data I do have?
Brewing is a learning experiance and today I learned just how useful ricehulls are in a mash/sparge. Thanks for any replies/advice.
Ron, brewing beer under the house

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
2. I took a pre boil gravity reading at 75F which was 1.030, but in my haste to get the yeast pitched and fermenter covered, I forgot to take my OG reading after boil. I started with 7 gal preboil and ended up with 5.3/4 gal into the fermenter. Is there anyway to estimate my OG using the data I do have?
Brewing is a learning experiance and today I learned just how useful ricehulls are in a mash/sparge. Thanks for any replies/advice.
Ron, brewing beer under the house
I believe that estimating your post boil gravity should just be a simple math problem.

30 X 7 / 5.75 = 36.5 meaning post boil FG would be 1.0365
Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply