Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is this going to hurt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Don
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is this going to hurt?

I just finished an AG Irish Red Ale last night (LATE), had the carboy on the table pitching the yeast when... I knocked a box over on the shelf above the carboy and a opened bag of Plain Light Spraymalt Extract fell into the funnel. The best I could figure is @ 3 oz. of the power ended in the carboy.
The only think I could do is plug the carboy and shook it up real well to try to mix it up the best I could.

Today it's working but what should I expect.

Should I rename my Irish Red Ale?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Life is to short too brew cheep beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That small amount of extract isn't going to directly affect the taste of the beer. But I might be worried about contamination. Most of the ingredients that we make beer with (malt, malt extract, specialty grains, etc.) harbour the exact types of bacteria and wild yeasts that are prone to infect your wort.

You will probably be fine, particularly if you pitched a good quantity of yeast that takes of right away. But you might want to be extra careful at monitoring this batch for off flavours BEFORE you spend time bottling/kegging.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll agree with FlyGuy. Extract and grains are positively crawling with, among other things, the precise kinds of wild yeast that would just love to infect your brew. Good luck, and keep your fingers crossed, but, yeah, there's a distinct possibility that, at the least, you got some wild yeast in there. Geuze, anyone?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Don

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dumped it.
It hurt but it didn't look good a bunch of yellow clumps of DME floating around.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Life is to short too brew cheep beer!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND!!!!

Oops. Sorry. Wrong forum.

I'm sorry to hear you dumped it. I would have let it go. The clumps of DME wouldn't have made it through your racking cane when going to secondary, and I've dropped far worse than DME in a batch (no comment) and had it come out fine. Next time, don't be so jumpy. Just let it go and see what the results are. If it smells horrid when you go to bottle, dump it. If you bottle it and after a month it tastes like Jim "the sweaty guy from high school"'s gym socks dump it. Otherwise you may have dumped a perfectly good Red.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Sorry man. That gravity sh!t sucks sometimes. On Mars...that wouldn't have happened.

This one is for you dude...

apa_kegged.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

never dump a beer out until after it's fermented out. You already spent the money and time brewing so letting it sit in a fermentor isnt going to hurt anything

Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
ProfLight
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
never dump a beer out until after it's fermented out. You already spent the money and time brewing so letting it sit in a fermentor isnt going to hurt anything
Even as a newbie, I'd have to second that. It's not the $$$ lost so much as it is that there is a reasonable chance you are okay. Worst case is you do a few tastes along the way and hope for the best. If it goes bad, then dump it.

BTW, next time you're going to dump a batch... CALL ME!! I'll come pick it up (within reasonable range) and nurse it along.

Tony

Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

One thing I have learned for these forums is that beer usually turns out fine despite minor problems we might encounter in brewing. A little bit of DME would have probably dissolved into the wort and been fermented out. There might have been a chance of infection but the process of creating DME destroys most organisms so there probably wasn't many left to compete with that large bunch of yeasts you just threw in.
I'd say chances are good that Red Ale would have made a good batch of beer. Even more than the cost of the beer I would lament the loss of 4+ hours of my time. I enjoy brewing but mostly because of the result.
Craig

Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
banjopicker16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

MAN! Im drinking an infected beer that tastes like markers, but ITS STILL BEER! I dont want to make you feel worse than you do, but ouch.

Good luck next time!

Primary: lazyday BarleyWine
Primary: 50/50 Bavarian Hefeweizen
Bottled/ Drinking- Infected ESB
Kicked: Pale Ale

Quick Reply