Is it going to be astringent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I inadvertently disturbed my grain bed during a batch sparge. I'm pretty sure I got a bit of grain in the kettle. For reference, this is a Pliny the Elder (IIPA) clone.

Had something like this happen once before, but on a Pale Ale, and it seemed to me to have too much bitter or astringent aftertaste. Certainly was not my best effort.

What do you all think? Will I notice it on the Pliny IIPA? Will the hops hide it?

And you boil grains in a decoction mash as well and that's used a lot for subtle beers like lagers so probably no big deal....I thought the astrigent flavor came from running too long or running too hot on sparging which leached tannins

Then why is it we vorlauf? I think I got about as much in the boil as you would normally remove by vorlaufing a sparge, and the last time I got some grains in, it was astringent, at least to my tongue. Could have been something else, but I don't think so, as I had been measuring mash pH back then.

Guess I'll wait to find out. Hope it doesn't affect this one, as the amount of hops used costs more than your average brew....

I'm very fast and sloppy with my vorlauf technique due to laziness, and the only astrigency issue I had was in a chocolate stout and it fit the style. My beers are not very clear, proabably due to my lazy first runnings (I usually do a 1-2 minute run and dump) but they still taste good. I use a kettle screen so most larger particles are excluded anyways, but Vorlaufing has maybe become one of those 'well everyone else does it and their beer is good' type of things where the beer might have been fine without it. Personally I wouldn't worry because all that will likely happen is it'll be a little cloudy. Nothing you can do anyways no except dump it and save your dry hop hops but I wouldn't do that....let us know how it turns out.

"Astringency differs from bitterness by having a puckering quality, like sucking on a tea bag. It is dry, kind of powdery and is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages. Bacterial infections can also cause astringency, i.e. vinegar tones from aceto bacteria"

Quoted from "How to Brew"....don't see lack of Vorlaufing on the list here...but the Pliny hob bill could easily be considered over-hopping at both ends :)

Back