Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Getting sick, tired, and demoralized

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 AM   #11
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

It's tough to pinpoint a problem like that without being there for your brewday. I wouldn't think it's the bottles/carbonation, so unless you were planning on buying a keg set-up anyway, I don't think that will solve the problem. One suggestion would be (if you've not already done so) to invest in some good books like Designing Great Beers and New Brewing Lager Beer (not just for lagers anymore). Read through them with an open mind... you might discover the reason.

END TRANSMISSION

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #12
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
It's tough to pinpoint a problem like that without being there for your brewday. I wouldn't think it's the bottles/carbonation, so unless you were planning on buying a keg set-up anyway, I don't think that will solve the problem. One suggestion would be (if you've not already done so) to invest in some good books like Designing Great Beers and New Brewing Lager Beer (not just for lagers anymore). Read through them with an open mind... you might discover the reason.
But the thing is, I don't do anything different from "by-the-book" procedures. Ive read completely through How To Brew and Radical Brewing, and have taken a lot from them. I will def. read through those books, im always down for more brew knowledge, but im sure that my process isnt much different than 90% of all the members on here....

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #13
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamusCatuli View Post
Yeah I have thought about mashing high, but im more and more thinking that it just took me a bunch of batches to realize that im drinking green beer and am thus dissatisfied.

Hopefully

Basically what I am going to equate to green beer is:

Green Beer = harsh, sharp, bitter, unbalanced, hazy, thin - yes?
In my experience yes on all accounts. For example, I just had an Amber of mine go from bitter with that fresh apple green taste, to a nicely balanced beer with some body and a slightly hoppy caramel aftertaste. My favorite homebrew so far. I'm still learning to let it sit too!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #14
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammacks View Post
In my experience yes on all accounts. For example, I just had an Amber of mine go from bitter with that fresh apple green taste, to a nicely balanced beer with some body and a slightly hoppy caramel aftertaste. My favorite homebrew so far. I'm still learning to let it sit too!
Its a mother f*cker brother!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
no I never secondary, there is no need...with 3-4 weeks of the yeast cleaning up after themselves, my beers are jewel-like and taste really clean and crisp.
Amen to this.

I bottled an IPA this last weekend that I mashed and put in primary on the 15th of June, but then didn't rack and bottle until the 27th of July. While I was disappointed with this batch because of crush and mash issues, I have to say it's extremely clear and tasted great going into the bottle. I'm really looking forward to cracking one of these open now, but I'll have to wait another couple weeks to see how it is...

I was totally stuck on 1-2-3 for my first few extract batches, but now I am completely sold on 3+ weeks in primary. In fact, I think I'm going to just start doing 4 weeks.

I also hate to admit this, as I was a real Danstar cheerleader with Nottingham, but I've made my last three batches with US-05 and I honestly believe I'm making better beer with it. My beer tastes more natural to me with the Safale. YMMV.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 08-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #16
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamusCatuli View Post
Yeah I have thought about mashing high, but im more and more thinking that it just took me a bunch of batches to realize that im drinking green beer and am thus dissatisfied.

Hopefully

Basically what I am going to equate to green beer is:

Green Beer = harsh, sharp, bitter, unbalanced, hazy, thin - yes?
my question to you is give us a recipe for a beer that you think has this problem and be sure to post all brew related instructions (i.e. mash temps, grain bill, mash volume and sparge temps and volumes). this is the only way we can truly help without doing wags.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #17
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew View Post
Amen to this.

I bottled an IPA this last weekend that I mashed and put in primary on the 15th of June, but then didn't rack and bottle until the 27th of July. While I was disappointed with this batch because of crush and mash issues, I have to say it's extremely clear and tasted great going into the bottle. I'm really looking forward to cracking one of these open now, but I'll have to wait another couple weeks to see how it is...

I was totally stuck on 1-2-3 for my first few extract batches, but now I am completely sold on 3+ weeks in primary. In fact, I think I'm going to just start doing 4 weeks.

I also hate to admit this, as I was a real Danstar cheerleader with Nottingham, but I've made my last three batches with US-05 and I honestly believe I'm making better beer with it. My beer tastes more natural to me with the Safale. YMMV.
Thats really interesting that you guys arent even messing with the secondary. . . . Maybe this is the way to go

Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #18
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The 1-2-3 method is definitely too quick. I always secondary. Don't skip that.

This is what I do:

- 10 to 14 days primary
- 3 to 4 weeks secondary (it won't hurt to leave it longer)
- bottle and carb for 5 to 6 weeks

I have only rarely ever been seriously dissatisfied with one of my beers. Most of the time it is great beer and I'm amazed that I brewed it myself.

Make sure you watch your mash temps and your fermentation temps. The defective brews I've made are usually traceable to being off on one of those.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #19
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
my question to you is give us a recipe for a beer that you think has this problem and be sure to post all brew related instructions (i.e. mash temps, grain bill, mash volume and sparge temps and volumes). this is the only way we can truly help without doing wags.
Im brewing an IPA soon, this is what im going to do for it:

OG - 64
FG - 16
IBU - 69
ABV - 6.2
SRm - 8
5 Gallons
California Ale Yeast

.5# Crystal 60
9# 2-row
1# Munich
1# Vienna

.5 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Perle @ 60
.5 oz Perle @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Cascade (whole) @ Dry Hop

- Preheat MLT w/ 3 gallons near boiling water
- Add grains to MLT
- Add 3.4 gallons of 167F water to reach 152F
- Mash one hour
- Collect 1st runnings ( Mash out w/ 170F *been having bad luck w/ stuck sparges)
- Sparge 1 w/ 2 gallons (allow to sit for 10 mins. before sparge)
- Sparge 2 w/ 2 gallons (allow to sit for 10 mins. before sparge)
- Approx. 6.5 gallons collected, bring to boil
- Add hops according to schedule @ 60 mins.
- Cool immediately w/ immersion chiller until 75F
- Pour kettle wort into primary
- pitch yeast, seal.
- after primary fermentation (1 week), rack to secondary
- after 2 weeks in secondary, bottle.
- After 3 weeks, get pissed and frustrated with same ol same ol generic tasting brew.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #20
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Add me to the train that does 21-day primary (or longer, if life interrupts!) and then 3 weeks in the keg. Delicious. Simply delicious. Now i just gotta do something abou thtose ferment temps....

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply