Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > getting rid of DMS with a CO2 flush?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
mrkeeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default getting rid of DMS with a CO2 flush?

Experiencing HUGE cooked corn flavour in a light cream ale.

The recipe had a good amount of Pilsner malt, and also a good amount of flaked corn. Also, my thermometer broke... but I didn't realize that until I had WAY over heated the mash through multiple decoction.

(So... there is a chance that the cooked corn flavour is ACTUALLY... cooked corn.)

Anyway, it's almost undrinkable, but I've read that DMS will lift out of a beer during a vigorous fermentation (as well as during the boil, of course.)

I'm thinking... to salvage the beer... maybe I should try leaving the cap off of a keg, connecting CO2 to the "out" post, and letting it rip for a bit.

Anyone ever try this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I bubbled CO2 to get rid of a sulfury taste in wine once. Worked like a charm.

I used an aeration stone from an aquarium (new, obviously, not used!) and a 2L bottle with some dry ice in it. As the CO2 sublimated it bubbled through the stone, through the wine and out the airlock.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
mrkeeg
Recipes 

I think this was moderately successful. I forced the CO2 onto the "out" post of a corny, I left the keg lid on, and bled out pressure through the relief valve. Did this for maybe 5 mins ... would have done more but was worried my C02 tank was nearing empty.

DMS taste was reduced to a drinkable level... but is still present.

I should pull a pint, flush it for another 5 mins, and pull another pint for a blind taste test.

Quick Reply