*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Getting ready for my maiden AG voyage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Getting prepared mentally for my 1st AG batch, one piece of the picture that is still missing for me is equipment related.

In my large brew pot, what do I use in the bottom (I assume there is something) to prevent the hops and other particles from clogging my spigot or running off into my fermenter. I know to sparge the grains through my igloo / manifold system to strain the grain...(heh heh...I just rhymed).

Is there a similar manifold system you can/should use for the hotpot to strain the hops. My experience is that hops are a chronic clogger of strainers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What type of hops are you using. I use whole leaf and a SS pan scrubber works well for me.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Thanks.

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

I'm going to use whole leaf and pellets for finishing. It looks like if I use an SS braid hose as a filter, I should be able to catch most of the sediment. Maybe that in combination with running the wort through a strainer over the fermenter, I should be able to filter and avoid a clogged spigot?

Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #14
azmtnbiker
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

KalvinEddie, about the Kolsch recipe. I like the grain bill and yeast but here are some suggestions if you have not brewed it just yet.
Switch the Munich for Vienna-(munich will work awesome just personal pref.)
Drop the NB hops and just go with the Hallertauer at 60 and maybe 20. Keep the IBU's low around 20-25.
That yeast will make a great kolsch and ferment at 65 and then lager for a month if you can. That yeast might be slow fermenting at the lower temps but it is worth it.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmtnbiker
KalvinEddie, about the Kolsch recipe....here are some suggestions...switch the Munich for Vienna...Drop the NB hops and just go with the Hallertauer at 60 and maybe 20.
Thanks a bunch. I 've just updated my recipe sheet as suggested. I've been talked into doing a Porter this weekend but I'm going to go ahead and pick up the grain bill for the Kolsch at the same time.

Two slow recipes.

I should not have sold that time machine on E-Bay.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinEddie
I should not have sold that time machine on E-Bay.
I was the one who bought it, and the damn thing don't work!! I want my money back!!!

I'm actually turning over two sloooow recipes this weekend. Black lager into cornie, AG pils into the primary. I cant wait until i am drinking the pils......in March/April while planting the veggie garden for the summer. aahhhhhh the summmeeerrr....

Recipe looks good BTW - let us know how it pans out!

Quick Reply