New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Getting ready for first all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Adam's Apples
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting ready for first all grain

I'm trying to work out my brewing schedule for my first all-grain beer, which I reckon I'm about 1 week away from starting, depending on the arrival of my cooler. Re-reading Palmer, I had forgotten that ph is a lot more important in all-grain. It's interesting what he has to say about how the grain bill can change ph.

How much attention do you guys pay to ph? Do you take the ph during the mash, as Palmer suggests, and then adjust if necessary? He mentions gypsum and and baking soda as additives to change the ph either way, is this what is usually used?

I think this is somethig I may fine tune over time, but I have just ordered a digital ph tester to try and keep the mash to between 5.1-55 as Palmer suggests. I'm guessing, as long as I'm not horribly outside the ph range the beer produced should still be good.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

How's your water? And what's your grain bill? Those two things play a big part in how much you need to worry about mash pH. If you don't have ridiculously hard water, don't worry about it. You can usually look up your city's annual water report on the public works website. Palmer has a recommended range for all of the common water properties. All of mine are within range so I don't worry about adding anything to my water.

Your grain bill is another factor. If you are making a very pale beer -- a Pilsner, for example -- you need to worry a little more about mash pH. If you've got any dark specialty grains in the grist, however, they're usually enough to bring the mash pH down into the proper range.

Do NOT start adding gypsum, chalk, salts or anything else to your mash water without first tracking down your city's water report. According to many sources, most municipal water in the U.S. is perfectly fine for brewing as-is. Only add water adjustments if you know for sure that you need them.

By the way, congratulations on your first AG! It'll be hectic, but if you've got a checklist it'll be a lot easier than you think it's going be.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All Grain is great! I'll be brewing my 2nd this weekend. You have so much more control, it's amazing.

I will be using 5-Star pH 5.2 buffer this time around in hopes to raise my efficiency (I got 68% last time)

I want to fine-tune EVERYTHING in my process before i start doing brewing salt additions (My water is VERY, VERY soft).

Good luck, have a checklist, and RDWHAHB (Not too many though )

Dave

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Adam's Apples
Recipes 

Cheers guys.

I'm in the UK and I know my water is quite hard as we get lots of limescale.

I have my water report downloaded and it's format doesn't seem to match what Palmers book says, so I haven't yet really tackled it properly. I think I will just dip my ph tester in the mash and hopefully I won't be way outside the ranges I need to be.

What's the 5 star ph 5.2 buffer, I haven't heard of this?

Cheers

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Mirilis
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As long as you have some good crystal or darker grains I wouldnt worry about it too much, but as a procaution I would get some Mash Stabilizer.5.2 Mash Stabilizer- 4 oz. :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Didn't realize you were in the UK. You might try Orfy's Hobgoblin clone as your first AG. It's a well established recipe with enough dark grains to balance out your water. It's a great beer, too.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Adam's Apples
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Didn't realize you were in the UK. You might try Orfy's Hobgoblin clone as your first AG. It's a well established recipe with enough dark grains to balance out your water. It's a great beer, too.

Chad
Good call.

I do enjoy quite a few of these as they are readily available locally, although I have never seen it on tap yet.

I had already picked this as my 1st effort and will be printing off Orfy's ingredients and intructions.

I'm ready for all grain!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have been brewing 36 years and am now drinking a brown ale and loving it. If you have good sanitary practices and use fresh ingrediants and Age it long enough you will make an excellent beer. Orfy's brews should be just right for English taste as I am planning to brew 12 gallons of his mild mannered ale soon. Keep your fermentations in the proper temperature range and success is yours.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #9
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Apples View Post
I have my water report downloaded and it's format doesn't seem to match what Palmers book says, so I haven't yet really tackled it properly.
Same here. I called my water provider and they gave me all the info i needed. I think the only thing the water report told me was chlorine and sodium levels, but that's about it.

Brew on!
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
Same here. I called my water provider and they gave me all the info i needed. I think the only thing the water report told me was chlorine and sodium levels, but that's about it.

Brew on!
Tell them you brew beer and need a detailed report and list the types of items you are interested in.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply