Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Getting into all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Augie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Edit: I found my answer Thanks though

One question I have about partial mashing. Most of the articles listed state brewing about a 3 gal batch. Would there be any negatinve effect to brew a PM in a 5 gal batch and where should you adjust your water quantity (during the mash or in the boil)? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe you would just adjust your water in the boil. I know you say you have found your answer and it seems to be partial mash but I just wanted to let you know I went straight from steeping to All-Grain and let me tell you I wish I would have just started with AG (did extract for 5 years). If you do nothing else buy a mash tun that is big enough to do all-grain cause your going to kick yourself when in a couple of batches you decide to go AG.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you decide to get a cooler, go for the 10 gallon if you like to brew big beers. I have a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon mash tun. I wish I had a 10 gallon since I have a recipe to brew which has 14 pounds of grain. I think I will need the 10 gallon.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions

Quick Reply