Getting into AG...need help with equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
As the title states, I am going to start getting into AG. At first I am going to start with BIAB to keep my equipment cost down at first. From what I have been reading, all I really need for BIAB is a burner, large pot and straining bags. I can then use the burner and pot for tradition AG brewing when I get a mash tun.

With my birthday coming up, I was thinking of asking my GF for a burner and pot set up. This is what I had in mind...

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/Stock-Pot167553

I don't want something that is top of the line but I also don't want something that is just "eh good enough". I want something in the middle that does the job right and will last.

That should do it, although depending on what size batches you plan on doing you might just consider saving some money and getting one of the turkey frier kits from bayou. That's what my wife got me for Christmas - got the burner and 30 qt pot for about $60. the 30 qt pot on its own is big enough for most grain bills for 3.5 gallon batches or so, but I usually sparge with another smaller pot of water (BIAB) anyway so can easily do full 5 gallon boils. I get much better BIAB efficiency when I sparge in another pot, so I like having two pots regardless of the size of my main boil pot.

And once you try BIAB and realize how easy it is, don't be surprised if you just say "screw it" and never invest in more equipment. That's assuming you want to stick with 5 gallon or smaller batches. If you go up to 10+, then BIAB is just not going to cut it for you.

Good luck!:mug:

I use the SQ-14 propane burner with good results. And a 10 gallon good quality aluminum pot will serve you well for 5-6 gallon batches.

Another piece of equipment you may already have but is necessary for all grain brewing is a wort chiller of some sort, to cool your wort after the boil. I use an immersion chiller. Good luck!

It all comes down to personal preference, but if I were doing it I would make sure I got a pot big enough to do a five gallon batch. You will want to be able to accomodate a bag of swollen grain and the total amount of brew water, which is about 8 gallons (5.5 into the fermenter, 1gallon grain absorbtion, 1 gallon evaporation, .5 gallon left in kettle and to beer gremlins). If you are only buying one pot, and you are planning on expanding your system in the future, don't buy a pot you are going to want to throw in the attic later, buy one you will be happy to use for a few years...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/100-brew-kettle-195314/

A wort chiller would be nice, but if you are burly enough and have a big enough sink, you can chill down your pot.

You might be able to find a bag that fits your pot, but if not it is not hard to sow together a pillow case type bag to fit it from voile material you can find at a fabric store, or even in the curtain department of a big retailer.

Go with the chiller. The good strong cold break allows for faster pitching and makes for clearer beers!

I use the Bayou Classic burner from the 30qt kit, with a 15 gal aluminum pot, for full-volume, no sparge, BIAB. I do suggest going with at least a 15 gal pot, as it will give you a lot more flexibility (larger grain bills, larger batches, longer boils).

I also do no-chill, and given enough time one can achieve the same clarity as with a chiller. A cold-crash and/or gelatin can accelerate the time line.

Thanks guys. I am building a wort chiller so I am all set with that.

I was thinking about getting a bigger kettle but for now I think 10 gallons should work well since I only do 5 gallon batches. When/if I upgrade to a better system, I will get into keggles. I have been looking for them and no one has them cheap. Local breweries either fix them or don't have any right now. Junkyards and recycle places are charging over $50 and I know I can just hold off and find them cheaper.

I do have 2 smaller pots that I use for partial extract brewing that I could use for sparging.

Back