New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > getting in to all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I do partial boil all-grain, and I'm happy with my beer. I'd be doing full boil if I could, but high rise apartment + poor strength electric stove means not a possibility. That said, if you can do full boils, definitely go with a bigger kettle than the gallon one you've got. If not, you can work with what you've got.
Look into a heat stick!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ok ill say it....

Get a 15 gallon kettle or keggle.

if you plan on doing "mostly 5 gallon batches" that implies you want to do something other than a 5 gallon batch. if you want to do anything larger you need a bigger pot. 15 gallons will do a 11 or 12 gallon batch.

I was in your position a few years ago. i went from partial boil extract to full boil extract. i bought an 8 gallon pot. i did a few batches and realized id like to do 10gallons now and then so then went out and bought keggles (15gallon).

save yourself some money and headache and get a 15 gallon kettle. it does 5 gallon batches just fine, with less worry about boil over, will allow you to do 10 gallon batches and have better resale value if you decide to hang up your mash paddle.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Look into a heat stick!
Thought about that too, but I don't trust this building's wiring, and I'd never be able to get them to install a GFCI for me.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You can always get a plug-in GFCI.

This thread is making me wish I had gotten a slightly larger pot. If I want to do a 5-gallon heavy beer, I may be hard-pressed to fit it into my pot. I may have to resort to a smaller batch size. I've wanted to try the Dark Lord clone recipe I found, but I don't think I could do a normal batch using my pot. (32-quart)

EDIT: Just checked the mash calculator. I'd probably top out at a 3/4 batch, taking up nearly 7 gallons of space for mashing. I'll likely just halve the recipe so it fits in my 3-gallon carboy.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
ok ill say it....

Get a 15 gallon kettle or keggle.

if you plan on doing "mostly 5 gallon batches" that implies you want to do something other than a 5 gallon batch. if you want to do anything larger you need a bigger pot. 15 gallons will do a 11 or 12 gallon batch.

I was in your position a few years ago. i went from partial boil extract to full boil extract. i bought an 8 gallon pot. i did a few batches and realized id like to do 10gallons now and then so then went out and bought keggles (15gallon).

save yourself some money and headache and get a 15 gallon kettle. it does 5 gallon batches just fine, with less worry about boil over, will allow you to do 10 gallon batches and have better resale value if you decide to hang up your mash paddle.
I thought that that implied that he might want to do some 2 gallon experimental batches. Just because someone says that they mostly want to do 5 gallon batches does not necessarily mean they need a huge pot.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibs View Post
yes i plan on doing mostly 5 gallon.
Those were my famous last words as well. I think I cranked out three or four 5-gallon batches before I realized that with very little more time/effort the the increase in raw materials was worth doubling my batch size. My 7.5 kettle became my hot liquor tank, and I secured a most awesome keg for a 15.5 gallon brew pot.

10gallon_setup-.jpg

keggle_3.jpg

Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
sibs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

well i went ahead ani bought this its was 65 dollars on ebay i don't have any plans on doing anything bigger than five gallons my mash tun is only 10 gallons so i can make big 5 gallon beers

Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://morebeer.com/view_product/11854/102211/Brewing_Kettle_-_9_Gallon

These are better quality than they would seem to be and plenty large for 5 gallon whole leaf hops batches. Not much more $ and with welded couplings.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

You'll enjoy the 8 gallon space, have a good time!

By the way.... when you buy your 10 or 15 gallon pot in a year or two let us know. Lol JK
Cheers!!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #20
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
Thought about that too, but I don't trust this building's wiring, and I'd never be able to get them to install a GFCI for me.
Just shut the breaker off and instal a GFCI outlet. It's only 3 wires and they are not expensive.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Quick Reply