The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Getting in to All Grain

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 03:10 AM   #21
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,247
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default

lol.. I did mine outside.. on a propane burner in a 40qt brew pot (turkey fryer). checkout http://biabrewer.info

__________________
Mysticmead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #22
bratrules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 453
Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1R1Sh View Post
Thanks for the advice. I live in the San Fernando Valley. What about you?
Am in L.A like ten mins from downtown the city is called south gate!! seem am the only homebrewer in this whole city lol
__________________

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

bratrules is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
1R1Sh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratrules View Post
Am in L.A like ten mins from downtown the city is called south gate!! seem am the only homebrewer in this whole city lol
I had not even heard about brewing your own beer from anyone in LA. Then again I am still very young. Dont think many people my age brew their own beer. I really enjoying doing projects. And I really enjoy good beers. I think LA is more of a party type city where you go out and pay 10 bucks for a bottle of decent beer, or 20 dollar shots.

I am hoping that since I will be giving beer to all my friends for free, they will be buying me rounds when we go out.

I just recently heard about Eagle Rock Brewery. They have a bar in the front and brewery in the back. I want to go check it out. I guess on Sundays you can get tours of the brewery.
__________________
1R1Sh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #24
bratrules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 453
Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1R1Sh View Post
I had not even heard about brewing your own beer from anyone in LA. Then again I am still very young. Dont think many people my age brew their own beer. I really enjoying doing projects. And I really enjoy good beers. I think LA is more of a party type city where you go out and pay 10 bucks for a bottle of decent beer, or 20 dollar shots.

I am hoping that since I will be giving beer to all my friends for free, they will be buying me rounds when we go out.

I just recently heard about Eagle Rock Brewery. They have a bar in the front and brewery in the back. I want to go check it out. I guess on Sundays you can get tours of the brewery.
well its good to know there is other people in L.A enjoy this kick ass hobby i'll keep in touch with you bud its good to have some fellow brews out there btw where do you get your supplies?
__________________

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

bratrules is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #25
1R1Sh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
lol.. I did mine outside.. on a propane burner in a 40qt brew pot (turkey fryer). checkout http://biabrewer.info
Thanks for the link. I registered, but it will not let me post or make topics. The more I research, the more I want to do BIAB, but it looks like it cost me more to setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...3002843&sr=8-2

This 30qt pot and fryer is only $60. But for BIAB I know I will need about a 40qt pot. The cheapest 40q pot I can find cost more then then the 30qt pot and the fryer.

I could probably just keep adding water to the kettle, but that would probably be a pain in the ass.
__________________
1R1Sh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #26
1R1Sh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratrules View Post
well its good to know there is other people in L.A enjoy this kick ass hobby i'll keep in touch with you bud its good to have some fellow brews out there btw where do you get your supplies?
I actually have not bought anything yet. Just getting in to it. I did go in to The Home Wine, Beer and Cheesemaking Shop in Woodland Hills, just to look at stuff. They were pretty cool in there.
__________________
1R1Sh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,247
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1R1Sh View Post
Thanks for the link. I registered, but it will not let me post or make topics. The more I research, the more I want to do BIAB, but it looks like it cost me more to setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...3002843&sr=8-2

This 30qt pot and fryer is only $60. But for BIAB I know I will need about a 40qt pot. The cheapest 40q pot I can find cost more then then the 30qt pot and the fryer.

I could probably just keep adding water to the kettle, but that would probably be a pain in the ass.
where there's a will there's a way... http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...variance=40+qt.

others have done the mash in the 30 qt and had a smaller 20 qt pot of hot water to do a dunk type sparge (dunk the grain bag stir wait 10 minutes and pull it out)
__________________
Mysticmead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
JohnMc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 265
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
At my LHBS that kit is $154 (after tax).
Ouch!

Quote:
Also that cooler is a 9 gallon cooler. That would not be enough?
For pretty much any 5 gallon batch, yes, but you'd be surprised how fast you might want to go to 10. Also, for a lot of rectangular coolers the lid space is counted as volume, but doesn't do much good for mashing. Still, you're safe for 5 gallons of a really big barleywine.

Quote:
And drain the kettle into the carboy? I was planning on dipping a bucket into the kettle and emptying the bucket into the carboy (using a funnel).
That'll work, as long as you sanitize the bucket. You can do as rico567 and lift the kettle. Or use a piece of copper pipe, a copper or stainless scrubber, some tubing and start a siphon as well. I was just curious about your plans.
__________________
JohnMc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reducing water/lb grain for larger grain bills? Tall_Yotie All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 11-25-2010 12:55 AM
base grain to specialty malt grain ratios DudeBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 02-08-2009 06:22 PM
All-grain 2 gallon batch with grain bag: Questions TrojanAnteater All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 01-26-2009 12:55 PM
Good Grain Absorption Factor and Water/Grain Ratio? Mr. Mojo Rising All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-13-2008 05:28 PM
All Grain from MINIMAL GRAIN VARIENTS? wdoyle1980 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 06-26-2005 12:13 AM