Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > German Hefe- Weizen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 03:39 AM   #11
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did an AG wheat not too long ago (Kaiser and Baron probably remember talking me through it). (It was also my first true AG beer). . I used 65% 35% wheat/Barley. . . ended up with a quasi stuck sparge, but worked through it and the beer turned out phenomenal. Plan on a slow sparge. I was a bit impatient for mine.

I was going to attempt a decoction but instead did a 2 step infusion mash with obvious good results.

Other hints, watch your hop content--don't get it too bitter if you're attempting a Bavarian style. For 5 gallons, I used only 0.75 oz total (bittering only) of Hallertau Hersbrucker (low AA content--can't remember off the top of my head). I believe I used Weyermann Wheat malt and Durst Pils instead of Pale. My yeast was Wyeast's 3068 Weihenstephan weizen strain.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #12
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Simplify as much as possible and then step it up as you learn your system. Something as simple as adding heat to your mash for the first time can easily turn to scalded results. A pot that you think is capable of handling the mash with additional infusions of water can be under estimated or leaving too little room to work with. Taking small bites will lead to less chance of a major disaster. However if you are like me, I don't always listen to my own advice and just go for broke.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
seanhagerty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to jump on the "Single temp infusion mash schedule" Wagon.

This first time, just go for the sac temp of about 152F. Until you get familiar with the AG brewday processes keep it simple. Once you can CONSISTANTLY hit your mash temps dead on, then start trying to do step mash's.

Another thing you will have to resist is the urge to check your temps every ten secs. Once you infuse hot water, give it 2-5 min for temps to stabilize and then stir and check temps. Assume that is the right temp. DO NOT feel the need to check temps often.

Also, if possible, do a batch sparge (personal preference on my part). It is much simpler and significantly shortens the brew day. If you need help figuring volumes, let me know and I'll work with you. Fly sparging works well, but if you havent seen it done, it gets confusing.

Lastly, if you have some one close by that can show you how an AG brewday looks before you do your own (Lets you sit in on their session), try to do that. Knowing whats its supposed to look like will pay big dividends on your first brew day.

Good Luck with all.

Sean

Studies show that three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
You know generally when I read about someone doing wheat here, there is a suggestion to add rice hulls to help prevent stuck fermentations. I don't know much about rice hulls, but want to do a wheat next month. Homebrew_99 talked about this special yeast that WL makes only in July and August. Is there a percentage of rice hulls you use per pound of wheat? How do you go about deciding how much to use?
As a reminder, that yeast is WLP351. You can read about it on Whitelabs website. I believe I purchased it from midwestsupplies.com for less than WL was charging. It's avalable from many other sources, just google "WLP351".

Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
You know generally when I read about someone doing wheat here, there is a suggestion to add rice hulls to help prevent stuck fermentations. I don't know much about rice hulls, but want to do a wheat next month.
They help prevent a stuck sparge, not fermentation. They keep the grain bed from getting to mushy/compacted. I just did one with 60% wheat, and used half a pound of hulls. Had an effortless sparge.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #16
Rodan
Recipes 

hey guys!

This is great... thanks a lot for all the feedback! Excellent community!

Im right in the process of mashing (right now!) following kaisers suggestions... im currently doing the 50degree rest for 30 mins.

I did a little practicing last night for temperature control, which made me a little more confident with knowing my stove so i think ill be ok with that.

Im using hallertau hops and plan on using a little under an oz. because i did the calculation suggested in "the joy of homebrewing".

I really think that because this is my first time for AG, im going to take the "don't worry to much" route and just see what happeneds. Really, whats the worst that can happen? Im out 25$ BUT i learned a lot.

Regardless, thanks for the great advise! This is an awesome forum!

Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 AM   #17
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Is there a percentage of rice hulls you use per pound of wheat? How do you go about deciding how much to use?
I usually figure around 0.1# rice hulls for ever # of wheat. Basically, my Hefeweizen recipe calls for 5.5# of wheat and I use 1/2# rice hulls. My Weizenbock calls for 9# of wheat and I use a whole # of rice hulls in that one. It's probably a bit system dependent, but that should be a good starting point.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #18
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhagerty
Lastly, if you have some one close by that can show you how an AG brewday looks before you do your own (Lets you sit in on their session), try to do that. Knowing whats its supposed to look like will pay big dividends on your first brew day.
You know! You are absolutly right! I did my first AG before National Homebrew Day..... what can I say... if you saw the thread you know I had some challenges.... but this one I just did after seeing it half the day... I was like really cool about it. Was not nearly as concerned about things like I was the first time and I even had some curve balls thrown at me.....

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 AM   #19
Rodan
Recipes 

well... brew day went well although im suprized how long it took! 7 hours, probably because i am new to this.

I took the gravity after i cooled the wort (before i pitched the yeast) and was suprized to see that it was 1.040. The directions i was using for the recipe said that i should get a gravity of 1.055. Does anyone have and tips or ideas?

I did a good sparge (an hour and 20 mins) using 77-80 degree water.
Everything else was exactly what Kaiser suggested.

I dont want to boost gravity using dextrose cause it gets that "cidery" flavour.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks!!

Old 06-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #20
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts

What was the sample's temp prior to pitching the yeast?

Is your hydrometer calibrated properly? 59-60F water should read 1.000.

Quick Reply