Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Garden hose bad for beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Garden hose bad for beer!

I have noticed a lot of brewers, especially AG, using water from the garden hose to brew. 99% of garden hoses are not safe to drink from, much less brew from.http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-le...arden-hose.htm

I had heard that from someone I trust a while back and a quick google popped up this site and a few others. Safe hoses are clearly marked and are not typically found in Home and Garden stores.

For those not inclined to care about their health, I can't imagine that lead does anything good for beer.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hence the reason why you should use an RV type Drinking Water Hose found at any RV Dealer.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

No need to pay RV dealer prices Wal Mart has them in the camping section of the sporting good dept. You can also find them at Home Depot. They are usually white and like the OP said clearly marked as "Drinking Water" or Potable Water.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

"Consumer Reports tested 16 of the most popular hoses sold nationwide, finding that many leached up to 100 times that amount at the initial flush of standing water."

As an occasional Garden hose user I always flush the entire hose before using the water. It is easy to tell when you have fresh water as the temp drops markedly.

GT

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
bigben
Recipes 

yep, just get an RV hose. $10 at walmart

Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

While I applaud anyone for trying to remove risk and help eveyone stay safe, garden hose lead levels mentioned in the research are hardly worth spending time worrying about. If you do want to buy a special hose for brewing or drinking I say go for it. I brew with a standard hose which is flushed before use. Many public water systems have the same levels of lead as did the hoses in the research. I dont see a problem either way: The comlete study can be found at the link below.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...-503/overview/

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As a correction to my post above, I use a standard garden hose which is labeled "safe for drinking" not the white rv hose. As I reread my post I think that it seems like im avocating using water hoses labeled "not safe". i apologize for the confusion

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter
While I applaud anyone for trying to remove risk and help eveyone stay safe, garden hose lead levels mentioned in the research are hardly worth spending time worrying about. If you do want to buy a special hose for brewing or drinking I say go for it. I brew with a standard hose which is flushed before use. Many public water systems have the same levels of lead as did the hoses in the research. I dont see a problem either way: The comlete study can be found at the link below.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...-503/overview/
I for one am not doing it for risk reduction but rather to make my beer the best it can be.

I've tried flushing out regular garden hoses and I can still detect a nasty plasticine taste and smell with regular garden hoses.

All the time and money I spend brewing my own beer is well worth the extra $12 for water that doesn't taste and smell bad.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Time to toss out the hoses! I don't like the thought of anything with possible lead contamination being used for my son's pool or sprinkler or anything tlse.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"While there can be minute amounts of lead found even in tap water, hoses made with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or brass fittings can leach unsafe levels of lead into the water."

Aren't most waterlines supplying water to people's houses made out of PVC? Don't alot of people use brass fittings for other brewing stuff, mash/lauter tuns, etc? I'm not so sure that people should start throwing out their hoses...

Quick Reply