The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gameplan for first AG recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #31
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks Rich,

It was fun...took longer than I expected so I cut a few corners and forgot a couple steps. Here's where I am:

Concerns:

1. Cut the boil to 75 minutes from 90 minutes
2. Worried about condensation on the arms of the wort chiller dripping into the wort
3. Never used Wyeast before. Kneaded mixture as described and waited for it to puff up. I added the yeast to 1 cup of the wort at about 85 degrees and then funneled it into the carboy while transferring from the kettle.
4. Forgot to take OG reading before adding yeast and moving to carboy.
5. Using a 6.5g carboy for the first time. Looks rather empty (no indicator of volume). LHBS didn't have a cap that supported a blow-off tube so using a length of 1" tubing instead. Seems like it would work ok. However...
6. Still no yeast activity visible. Every kit I've done has been very active by the next moring. At what point should I be nervous? I have another packed of irish yeast I can use if needed.

All in all a lot of fun. Can't wait to do the next one. However I think I need to get a propane burner for the next batch. My stove has a high-capacity burner which worked well, but still more of a mess than I'd like to create on the stove.

Thanks again for the help!

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #32
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
Concerns:

2. Worried about condensation on the arms of the wort chiller dripping into the wort
3. Never used Wyeast before. Kneaded mixture as described and waited for it to puff up. I added the yeast to 1 cup of the wort at about 85 degrees and then funneled it into the carboy while transferring from the kettle.
5. Using a 6.5g carboy for the first time. Looks rather empty (no indicator of volume). LHBS didn't have a cap that supported a blow-off tube so using a length of 1" tubing instead. Seems like it would work ok. However...
6. Still no yeast activity visible. Every kit I've done has been very active by the next moring. At what point should I be nervous? I have another packed of irish yeast I can use if needed.

All in all a lot of fun. Can't wait to do the next one. However I think I need to get a propane burner for the next batch. My stove has a high-capacity burner which worked well, but still more of a mess than I'd like to create on the stove.

Jason
Condensation dripping off the chiller shouldn't be a concern. The way I see it, the chiller was sanitized in the boil and the condensation came from your boiled wort.
Give your yeast time to get going. I would wait at least 24 hours before getting concerned.
I marked my carboy at each gallon. Look at this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ghlight=carboy

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #33
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It is important to aerate the wort as well as you can to get o2 into the wort. Liquid yeast needs this o2 more so than dry yeast. Your liquid yeast may not perform as it should if you neglect this aeration.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #34
alfista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

thanks boo boo...I've given it a couple of shakes today. I'm getting one big bubble from the 1" tube every 3-5 seconds so it looks like I'm on my way :-)

Quick Reply