Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gameplan for first AG recipe
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #21
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupusUmbrus
Kai, that's the exact same cooler I'm using
I did't get to shop around for a good deal on the cooler (paid $24) since I had a HD gift card and wanted to use it for getting a mash-tun.

Kai
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 04:50 AM   #22
davy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
davy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 104
Default

can you upload a pic of the o rings you got Kai.

__________________
davy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #23
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
can you upload a pic of the o rings you got Kai.
I don't have a pic. But the specs should help you:

Manufactuer: Danco

Repair
#15 O-Ring
1" O.D. x 3/4" I.D.
x 1/8"

10 O-Rings Enclosed
#96732

I believe I got them at Lowes in the plumbing section. But you should be able to get comparable O-Rings at HD or other hardware stores. For me, these O-Rings where the key to getting a good seal since the surface of the bulkhead, that is pressing against the O-Ring, it not very big. If you can find a copper washer, that you can solder against the fitting, you should be able to increase this surface. But I couldn't find any such washer.

Kai
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #24
davy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
davy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 104
Default

Ok i know exact what you are talking about I saw them was not sure if they were thick enough to create a good seal but now I know thanx
davy

__________________
davy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #25
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
Ok i know exact what you are talking about I saw them was not sure if they were thick enough to create a good seal but now I know thanx
davy
They do. At least for the cooler and the fitting that I have.

Kai
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 01:52 AM   #26
davy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
davy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 104
Default

You are definitely right about the o rings King I did not put on my cooler but I did fix them to my brewpot with a ball valve assembly. So far they are holding up to high temperatures also used generous amounts of teflon tape.

Bought a Kewler Kitz from Northern Brewer and put it on my cooler works really well. By the way Northern Brewer is awsome great service and great shipping time.

__________________
davy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 04:17 AM   #27
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 167
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Follow-up:

I'm on my way...momma and baby are asleep and I can trash the kitchen so long as its clean before breakfast :-)

My successes are as follows:
Using a TrueBrew bucket with some insulation wrapped around it, I managed to hold my mash around 151 degrees (uncalibrated thermometer). My cooler now has a hole in it but I'll deal with that later. Maybe I'll post a pic later.

My concerns are as follows:
Round 1 of batch sparging was too cool, perhaps 155 degrees
Round 2 of batch sparging was about 168 degrees, but a final rinse seemed to still release a lot of sugars.
I seem to be boiling off much faster (low february humidity?) How fast of a boil should I have?

OK, this 45 minute rest period is almost over so I need to start prepping the wort cooler. Need to wrap this up before midnight cause the baby is up at 3!

Thanks again for the tips...

Jason

__________________
alfista is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 AM   #28
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 167
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

BTW - nothing smells better than boiling hops. Reason enough to brew your own beer :-)

__________________
alfista is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 04:29 AM   #29
Darth Konvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Darth Konvel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,046
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
BTW - nothing smells better than boiling hops. Reason enough to brew your own beer :-)
Heck yeah! Good to hear things are going well. The whole issue of hitting temps is something you'll get better as you do more batches, no worries
__________________
-LupusUmbrus
Up Next: ???


Darth Konvel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 05:32 AM   #30
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,767
Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
Follow-up:

I'm on my way...momma and baby are asleep and I can trash the kitchen so long as its clean before breakfast :-)

My successes are as follows:
Using a TrueBrew bucket with some insulation wrapped around it, I managed to hold my mash around 151 degrees (uncalibrated thermometer). My cooler now has a hole in it but I'll deal with that later. Maybe I'll post a pic later.

My concerns are as follows:
Round 1 of batch sparging was too cool, perhaps 155 degrees
Round 2 of batch sparging was about 168 degrees, but a final rinse seemed to still release a lot of sugars.
I seem to be boiling off much faster (low february humidity?) How fast of a boil should I have?

OK, this 45 minute rest period is almost over so I need to start prepping the wort cooler. Need to wrap this up before midnight cause the baby is up at 3!

Thanks again for the tips...

Jason
Sounds like you did just fine for your first attempt at AG. I hope you enjoyed your experience and will do many more batches.
I had the same problem the other day with a faster boil-off than usual. I think I had the heat turned up too high. I just added some pre-boiled water to the fermenter and I hit my target OG.
__________________

Cheers,
Rich

RichBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is there a way to edit recipe info in the recipe threads? iamjonsharp HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback 0 02-10-2009 05:14 PM
Has anybody ever used Thai Palm sugar in a recipe/check my recipe out dsuarez Recipes/Ingredients 3 11-13-2008 01:42 PM
Advice on my "Margawheata" recipe? (my first original recipe) potzertommy Recipes/Ingredients 8 06-26-2008 04:17 PM
Cider recipe questions!! - (recipe and bottling) mturtle Cider Forum 11 06-13-2008 08:58 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS