New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gameplan for first AG recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

also, if I purchase an Igloo 48quart cooler, do I have to worry that my false bottom does not go edge to edge on all sides?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My experience to date

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great tips.

When using a big rubbermaid cooler to mash, I assume people do not use the built-in spigot but install their own? I might try to find a cooler today as well. I didn't think about pre-heating the mashtun so I'll definitely get that into the equation.

Thanks again!

Jason
Hey Jason! Yeah this has been causing me headaches over the past 3 weeks or so. I finally got it all together. It seems as if it should be painfully simple to get some fittings together, however it proved to be a challenge for me. In the end this Kewler Kit made things much easier and although it was more bucks then I wanted to spend I just broke down and got it for simplicity.

The barb side is outbound. As pictured is about $29-30. I had bought then end on the right with the fittings thinking that I could find the ball valve cheaper. I did not save much in the end cause I could not find the fitting that goes from 1/2 inch (the size that this right end is) to 3/8 inch (the size I want to use for the next stage). Again you would think that this would be an easy task. The HBS had the fittings though Home Depot/Lowes did not. I do have to say that so far its a nice setup. Being 1/2 inch the assembly does not wabble around, which is something that less then 1/2 inch does( as pictured you can open/close the ball valve and the assembly will stay put). I also screwed up a cooler and needed to get another one. As pictured you DO NOT have to drill anything. You simply take the spiggot out of the cooler and put this Kewler Kit in. They have several ends all depending on what exactly you are planning to do (false bottom, copper... ect). Here is the link to them:
http://www.zymico.com/cooler/

As far as the cooler goes there is a bit of confusion as to size and how much grainbed you need. I was looking at the Rubbermaid Ice Cube, but right now I can only do partials and did not think I would have enough grainbed. I initially went for an Igloo Extream. If you are using a false bottom like Phil's, be aware that I could not get this to work. Seems that the Igloo extream gets narrower as you reach to the bottom. Phil's works great with Rubbermaid....BUT... after the Kewler Kit was put in I could not fish the Phil's bottom under it. There was just not enough room. There is a steel false bottom sold and it works PERFECTLY. Was able to get it in there and all. In order to take it out though you have to disassemple the Kewler Kit. I'm going to try to leave everything alone and see how hard cleaning it is before disassembling it.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
also, if I purchase an Igloo 48quart cooler, do I have to worry that my false bottom does not go edge to edge on all sides?
By the way. Wallmart sells coolers real cheap.

Igloo Extream $20
Rubbermaid 5 Gal $18
Rubbermain Ice Cube $15

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with Michael. Tried hunting for seperate parts, and after getting limited success, broke down and bought the kit pictured. Works extremely well.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
As pictured is about $29-30.
Wow, what a business idea. The parts cost you about $15 at the HD. But the bulkhead will not be as wide as the one for the Kewler.

Kai

Old 02-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
davy

Recipes 

It is hard to get all the fittings you need to make the cooler valve work the o rings are not available in either HD or Lowes. The only place I have found to get them for any price near reasonable you have to get a pack of 50. Great if you know 25 people who need o rings.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:50 PM   #17
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It is also machined. That brass nut has one ID on one side and another ID on the other. The O ring is also rated at 450 degrees (or so they say).

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #18
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
I was not thinking I could do a full AG cause of the brewpot size. Is 6.5gal big enough? From what I have read so far it seems very borderline.
This is a very important point MS has brought up. You are going to have at least one hot break during the boil if not many. If you are calculating 6.5-7 gal in a 6.5 gal or so pot that's not enough head room for the break. Keep your hand on the propane valve at all times. The second you turn away it will boil over.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #19
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
It is hard to get all the fittings you need to make the cooler valve work the o rings are not available in either HD or Lowes. The only place I have found to get them for any price near reasonable you have to get a pack of 50. Great if you know 25 people who need o rings.
I found just the right o-rings at Lowes. They are tight enough such that the 1/2 in thread to copper pipe fitting can be used as a bulkhead. I'm also not sure if they are actually heat rated.

But yes, the Kewler thingy looks nicer.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #20
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kai, that's the exact same cooler I'm using

Quick Reply