Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gambrinus Honey Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
jaquiss2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gambrinus Honey Malt

Really keen to have a go at brewing using this honey malt, but live in UK and unable to find over here.

Any suggestions as to how I can get hold of some. Have tried a couple of US suppliers, but won't ship abroad. I am prepared to pay and cover any postage costs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
aphid_rancher
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Gambrinus Malting is actually a Canadian company. Perhaps there are friendlier shipping (or exporting) agreements with a Canadian supplier.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 117

My local brew shop has it and quality seems good. How much do you want? I could send it to you.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
jaquiss2005
Recipes 

That would be fantastic - have seen a recipe that calls for 500g if you could get that for me.

Please let me know how much / how I can reimburse you for this

Peter

Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

That Honey Malt is one marvelous product and Gambrinus (Canada) is the only one making it. They're onto something and there's no substitute AFAIK. I wonder why it isn't more widely available.

Apart from drying your beer out, "real honey" does pretty much nothing to flavor. This malt does, and I use some honey malt in many ales calling for "honey."

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquiss2005 View Post
That would be fantastic - have seen a recipe that calls for 500g if you could get that for me.

Please let me know how much / how I can reimburse you for this

Peter
That's a lot of honey malt for a typical homebrew recipe of 5 gal/20L. Unless you have already tasted that recipe and like it 100-125g seems like a more reasonable quantity. A little of this goes a long way and can easily intrude on the other ingredients.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
dawgmatic
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post

That's a lot of honey malt for a typical homebrew recipe of 5 gal/20L. Unless you have already tasted that recipe and like it 100-125g seems like a more reasonable quantity. A little of this goes a long way and can easily intrude on the other ingredients.
There are plenty of recipes here that use 1 lb honey malt. Ive never had a beer cloyingly sweet or honey dominated from using it either. And more often than not the amount I use is 1 lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

I've seen other threads and opinions vary between 4 ounces being plenty and 1 lb not being enough. Could be dependent on freshness or people's taste buds, or recipes, I don't know. I've only tried it so far in an apple cider and I haven't taste it yet.

jaquiss2005, the malt itself is a little less than $2 per lb (454g). It appears that the best shipping option is USPS Priority International Flat Rate box, with a small box being $24 and medium box being $60. I think I can stuff 1 lb in a small box and 2 lb in a medium box but I'd have to check that. There could also be duty and VAT fees in the UK but according to one website, these don't apply to food items of only a few dollar value. If you could confirm that would be great. Not sure the best way for you to pay. Perhaps you can login at the USPS website, https://cns.usps.com/go, create a label (using your credit card) and email it to me. I'll look into it more and get back to you with a personal message or you can message me.

If anyone has better ideas for shipping/payment, let us know.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

jaquiss2005, Try this site. The price is good and the shipping to UK is the same that I would pay. This would be the easiest way to go I think.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1lb-Gambrinu...842636254#shId

Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer View Post
... a small box being $24 and medium box being $60....

If anyone has better ideas for shipping/payment, let us know.
Holy cow! There must be better ways.

Is the OP really sure he can't get it in the UK at all? There must be sources around. Maybe directly from Gambrinus or contact them for a UK vendor?

Country Malt Group (Champlain, NY) has them, but they are strictly wholesale/pallet quantities.

Anecdote:
About 20 years ago in a business class, I argued that shipping was a prime cost, at least to some businesses. The professor didn't buy the argument. I rebutted with "well, wait a few years...".

I think it has arrived.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale
Jayhem Likes This 

Quick Reply