FYI Home Depot 10 gal cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
I just ran my 3rd batch through this round cooler (10 gal) and the insides have rippled and split open. No problems with my HLT or other mash tuns made by gott & igloo. Maybe its just a bad cooler, I dunno. I've run higher temps through the gotts/igloos (5 gal) and have had no problems at all. Home-Depot two thumbs down! :mad:

I have a ripple in mine but once it rippled to it current spot, like on my second mash, it has not budged since.

I say take it back and exchange.

I have a ripple in mine but once it rippled to it current spot, like on my second mash, it has not budged since.

I say take it back and exchange.

+1 on trying to exchange it. They may not do it since they're not really meant for what we use them for, but it's worth a shot.

I have the same cooler (don't use it anymore since building a bigger rig), and I used it probably 50 times without an issue. It warped a bit as said, but otherwise, no problems.

Mine has a melted/split seam on the outside, but that is because I had it too close to my burner as I was filling it with my sparge water... Inside has held up fine.

I only have a 5 gallon one for hot water but I have used it for mashing previoulsy and it has no issues whatsoever. How hot is the water you are pouring in?

I have zero problems with mine- it looks like it has been used well but not a problem with ripples or with cracks. The bottom is bulged out a little and it popped like hell the first time I used it, since then all is well. Take it back, don't tell them you use it for mashing- they will exchange it.

I have one as well and it is fine. HD will take it back and refund or exchange with no problems as long as you have the receipt.
without the receipt, they will likely just exchange it for you. You should take it back, sounds like a faulty one.

Hot chocolate musta been too hot....:drunk:

Mine has some ripples but has held up through 150 or so gallons in the last year.

Mine rippled on the first hot water application as well. But it has been stable ever since and the ripple in no way effects the function as a mash tun.

I believe somewhere here there is a thread where someone actually contacted Rubbermaid about using the cooler at high temps and they (Rubbermaid) stated specifically that the cooler was not intended for that application. The split is much more serious, but as far as Rubbermaid or HD is concerned, you may be SOL.

the split is much more serious, but as far as Rubbermaid or HD is concerned, you may be SOL.

Good point, but I doubt the lowly clerk will give a darn and give anyone a hard time about a cooler being misused so long as it isn't charred black or some other obvious misuse. HD is all about customer satisfaction so long as you treat them nicely and Rubbermaid will credit HD and then tell them to throw away the bad unit because it is too expensive to ever bother re-manufacturing for resale.

Heck, I returned a two-cycle lawn trimmer to them last year after about four weeks because it was hard to start. They hemmed and hawed at first about it being a gas engine device and that I would need to send it in for warranty service, but I showed them a "30 days satisfaction guaranteed" statement on my receipt. Took a manager, but they gave me store credit and I bought another brand.

I've had the same positive experience returning to box stores. Just hand them the cooler, show them the receipt and tell them if you want a replacement or your money back.

No need to go into your mashing process with them.

They will probably take it back. FWIW, I have a Coleman and I've had near boiling water in it with no problems.

I've got a HD 10-gal that I've used for two batches now. Both times I've preheated with boiling water (or just below), hold 150* for an hour & haven't had any issues yet. My first mash, I def heard some expansion noises/crunching sounds while the hot water was in there, but didn't notice any issues.

+1 on returning/exchanging, I'm quite sure you could get them to take it back & stand by their product.

I preheat the 10 gal. Rubbermaid / HD cylindrical cooler with 3 gal. 170F water. It causes a ripple in the side, which is inevitable. As the plastic expands, and it can't expand outward because of the insulation, it therefore ripples. I can see where it might split, but mine hasn't yet.

I think taking it back to HD if it splits is a good idea, and will probably work.

I also think Rubbermaid is well within their province to state that hot water would invalidate any warranty on this product. After all, it's called a "cooler," and what we're doing is repurposing it from its intended use. Q.E.D.

Latest posts

Back