Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Full boil, the wrong way!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Full boil, the wrong way!

Well I tried my first AG batch last night, things were going fairly well till it was time to boil. I have a Keg brew pot and I was planning to use 2 burners on my gas stove, I figured it would be plenty of heat.

It took roughly 30 minutes just to get from 150* to boil temp and I ended up using a lid to get there. Even then it was barely a boil, more like a hot simmer. After another hour I was down to my batch size so I shut off the heat and cooled,

My chiller worked great!

There was short periods of actual boil, is this going to ruin my beer?

My next question is what size burner should I be looking for? Ideally I want something adjustable and as fuel efficient as possible.

I'll have pictures soon.

Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using my turkey fryer from walmart (never could get a fried turkey to come out any good...). I think I paid around $50 for it on sale a few years back. Comes with an adjustable 55,000 BTU burner and a 7.5 gallon aluminum stock pot. With the burner turned cranked up it can bring 7 gallons of water to a rolling boil in 10-15 minutes.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtman7
I've been using my turkey fryer from walmart (never could get a fried turkey to come out any good...). I think I paid around $50 for it on sale a few years back. Comes with an adjustable 55,000 BTU burner and a 7.5 gallon aluminum stock pot. With the burner turned cranked up it can bring 7 gallons of water to a rolling boil in 10-15 minutes.
Thanks, sounds like that would work.

Some other info, I started with 8 gallons, had 6.8 (calculated) of runoff. gives me about .5qt/pound absorbtion. I think my efficiency was 61%, not quite as good as I hoped, my heat was around 150-152 which was also a bit lower. I had a brain fart when reading the thermometer.

7/8" stainless braid worked great, although it was tough to tell when the runnings were clear, they were Black!

This was Dude's Old Leghumper clone.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Walmart turkey fryer mentioned above is now on sale for $37 at my local store. Isn't that almost free? The stand is extremely sturdy, made of angle-iron and not some bent rod like I've seen before. You could probably turn around and sell the 7.5 gallon pot on ebay for at least $30.

Bobby

Old 09-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Turricaine
Recipes 

A boil really does mean a boil. Heating 5 gallons of water to 100C does take at least an hour with an electric filament. Obviously I would like a great big 8 gallon SS vessel and a propane torch with which to heat it. However, theres alot of stuff that I would like but im just making do with what I have available to me.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turricaine
A boil really does mean a boil. Heating 5 gallons of water to 100C does take at least an hour with an electric filament. Obviously I would like a great big 8 gallon SS vessel and a propane torch with which to heat it. However, theres alot of stuff that I would like but im just making do with what I have available to me.
I don't know the exact temp, if I put a lid on it had a rolling boil, take the lid off and after a bit it was more mellow. Like I said it didn't work as I expected and I wanted to let others know to not try what I did.

Now the question is, will not having a rolling boil for the entire 60 minutes cause my beer to completly suck? Does 212 vs 209 really make that much of a difference?

Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have done a few batches that never quite made it to a full rolling boil, when i had an old burner. the beer ended up tasting great, so it wasnt a problem for me.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Todd, did you boil the full time with the lid on?

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Todd, did you boil the full time with the lid on?

No, I used the lid to get the boil going after about half and hour, then left it off and put it on again for a couple minutes, even when on it was not a tight fit. It had at least 30 minutes with it off, maybe longer. I was getting really worried about the boil and wasn't sure which is worse, low boil temp or the lid.

I'm still new to this and don't have anyone I can call for advice, just did the best I could.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think keeping the lid on is worse that the low boil temperature. Boiling with the lid on prevents many compounds from evaporating - Like di-methyl Sulphide, which leads to off-flavors.

So, good work!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply