Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > full boil small batch vs partial boil larger batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
bfinleyui
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Thanks. I think I'll try the partial boil, since I'm planning on a session beer that will be consumed a little more rapidly. I'll save the full boil for something a little more experimenty or strange.

Conditioning: Russian Imperial Stout
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Duplicate post.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You don't need to defend him, besides, basically he's saying you'll make crappy beer if you attempt it. It's one thing to offer information, it's another thing to offer opinion without stating that it is opinion.

I have found that in this hobby there are MANY ways of doing things, and that when someone is "so sure" that something won't work, he doesn't realize that there are folks who are doing it that way all the time, and it IS working. And used by a lot of people.

A lot of folks just repeat what they've heard, about something, without even experimenting for themselves. And USUALLY those things that folks are so convinced is "that way" like the hop utilization thing turns out to be so miniscule that our tastebuds really couldn't detect it anyway......

My primer covers any so called "dillution" of hops quite simply....As does most brewing software when you're working with dillution....

And the other questions remains, Have either of you ACTUALLY attempted it or are you just playing armchair brewer on this one? It's one thing to do it, and share info for or against it, and it's another thing to venture opinion without even having ever tried it.
Time to get very direct then...

What are we offering here if not opinions based on experience? I've tried both methods many times, and every method in between. I am not arguing that there are many ways of doing things. I know this. But topping off with 2.5 gallons of plain water and 2.5 gallons of concentrated wort does make inferior beer when compared to the same recipe brewed via a full volume boil. Fact... not to mention common sense. A new brewer shouldn't even need to think that hard to discern that.

It's a hack move at worst, and a move based on convenience & practicality at best. It does nothing to better your beer, but certainly effects the final quality. However, if you're satisfied with mediocre, then great. Say so. I still make powdered lemonade this way, but then again I don't really care for squeezing a dozen lemons.

And medals from bogus competetions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't see the need to boast about it. But in a blind taste test, and based on your full belief in partial boils, I would strip you of your medals. Challenge.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh no he di'int...let the popcorn eating commence.

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post

And medals from bogus competetions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't see the need to boast about it. But in a blind taste test, I would strip you of your medals. Challenge.
What's a bogus competition to you? In the Michigan State fair comp I went against over 50 IPAs alone and got number 4. The world expo of beer is now one of the largest comps in Michgan, capped out at 800 seperate entries.

I enter beers, especially experimental beers for feedback since we have several excellent BJCP judges in the Metro Detroit area, some Gran Master level, and many who travel and even judge commercial beers overseas, so I look at it as a good way to PROVE theories, or to see where something fails.

So to me, it's an excellent way to see if something works. And entering batches like that prove that good beer can be made different ways.....

Sounds like you can't handle someone calling you out. I'll ask you again, Have you ACTUALLY ever made a partial boil allgrain beer the way I mention?/ If not all you're doing is venturing an OPINION WITH NO PRACTICAL BASIS IN FACT.....So how is that helpful to someone, especially when OTHER folks prove that IT CAN BE DONE? And you know what they say about opinions

And I'm done with this, I don't argue with idiots.......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
bobbrews
Recipes 

I can tell you one thing, if I drank 50 IPAs back to back, my palate would be drained at discerning subtle nuances and particular flavors... and I'm a professional chef.

I'm talking about one beer, same recipe, two different brewers, one who hacks it and one who does it justice... blind taste test to see which is better. Challenge.

I'm sure you're a good guy, but we just see things from opposite ends of the spectrum. No need to get so heated about it. Just put your money where your mouth is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'm done with this, I don't argue with idiots.......
PS - I already answered the question you asked twice, idiot.

There have been a lot of new threads about this topic and old threads that can be viewed via the search history bar. There are those who think it matters, and those who do not (more so the former). So use the collective opinions based on experience to come to a conclusion, or continue to do what satisfies you. I honestly don't care.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Guys, guys, I think we're all aware of the current opinions on wort gravity and volume not affecting hops utilization in the way we once thought. And this stuff about an inferior beer being made when you top off a batch is pure poppycock, IMO and experience. I did partial boils on my 5 gal AG batches for quite some time before getting a big enough kettle to do full boils. None of those batches were any worse for wear than the ones I make now doing full boils with no top up.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I can tell you one thing, if I drank 50 IPAs back to back, my palate would be drained at discerning subtle nuances and particular flavors... and I'm a professional chef.
Are you like 15 years old? Where do you get this stuff? How do you know that it was just one set of judges handling all 50, how do you know it wasn't multiple pairs of judges dividing the flight up? How do you know if it was done over the same day, or broken down over multiple days to prevent judges from having "drained palates?" How do you know anything about how any beers were judged? First you said these contest were "bogus" until I pointed out what they were, THEN you came up with this?

You're just digging you're own hole, dude....you could have just agreed to disagree and moved on. You could have just said "hey, wow, I guess people are doing it this way, and making ok beer with it.....Maybe I was wrong...." The point IS, you expressed an OPINION that sounded like a fact, and when confronted you got all defensive. All you had to do was not be defensive and said, "this is my opinion" or "this is what I've heard or read...."

Geez.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Cincy17
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's a question. How is it common sense that partial boils would make inferior beer? In what way does diluting a solution reduce the quality? Especially if it is accounted for in the recipe. Working in a lab, almost every single solution we use is made or purchased at concentrations much higher than the working concentration, sometimes thousands of times higher. If diluting a solution in exacting scientific research, where a single microliter can make a difference in success or failure, is everyday practice, what difference is it going to make in home brewing beer on a scale of gallons?

Just my .02

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
bobbrews
Recipes 

Revvy, Revvy, Revvy... You keep finding ways to avoid the challenge. Someone wanna set something up that's completely blind and fair?

I'm down. As I've said, put your money where your mouth is

PS - You asked for more detailed directness, so I gave it to you. You could have took my opinion (based on my experience) and ignored or acknowledged it politely, but you didnt.

Quick Reply