Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Frustrated over low efficiency....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
bgcoving
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Frustrated over low efficiency....

All;

I’m getting really pissed off…..

My efficiency after a dozen batches of all-grain is still in the 60-65% range. I have tried various fixes proposed on this forum, and the last one actually dropped my efficiency, from 63% to 60%. I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

I batch sparge.

I am mashing at 1.1 qts/lb grain, letting the mash sit for 90 minutes until the iodine test sys I have converted… Mash temp is constant at between 153-151 degrees. My crush is as fine as I dare make it. It has to be in the sparge, but I can’t figure out where I am going wrong.

I am using the formula of .85 gals/lb @ 200 for an 8-10 minute mash out and gathering first runoff. I follow that up w/ 185-190 degree sparge water to collect a full boil. I am stirring the mash. I am allowing maximum time for runoff. My efficiency is still in the suck-ass range, and I am frustrated. My burner boils off 2.15 gals per hr, and it is pretty constant.

What am I doing wrong? It’s not the recipes, they are pretty pedestrian…I am beginning to think either that the algorithm in BeerTools Pro is wrong (which I doubt) or that all of you guys are lying about your brewing efficiency (which is equally wrong, I know).

Tomorrow I brew again, and I am going to up the slurry to 1.25 qts/lb, but I am not sanguine it is going to have any effect….

I’d like some serious suggestions (other than “crush, crush, crush”—any more fine crushing on my part and I might as well be using a CuisinArt).

TIA,

Brother Ben

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Conditioning:

Drinking: Brother Ben Believes in Hops ESB v.3; Brother Ben's Carolina Hurricanes Puck-Suckin' IPA v.2;Brother Ben's Lo-Ball Nut Brown Ale v.2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I feel your pain.

I do nearly the same thing...and mine is between 60 and 75% depending...and has been as low as 55% (Recently)

Sometimes it's just easier to bump the grain by a pound or 2, and deal with it. I've got a lot better things to worry about than efficiency.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Have you checked your thermometer accuracy? What kind of water do you use? Soft or Hard? Do you use pH 5.2? How fast do you drain? When you add the sparge water, do you stir it really well & then let it sit for awhile before starting the vorlauf?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I would up your water to 1.33 Qts per#, mash @ 150-152 deg F, Go w/ a fly sparge, don't do a mash out (whats the point in stopping the conversion, I mean really) and sparge w/ 170 -175 deg F water, make sure you use ph 5.2 and post your recipe so we can see what your eff should be by our calcs.
Cheers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

what's the reason for a 90-minute mash? what base malt are you using?

I can get briess 2-row to fully convert in 40 minutes...but its a pretty modified grain so it converts easily.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

+1 to Soperbrew's response.
Other questions, suggestions, and observations.

Questions:
How many batches of sparge water do you use? If you just do one sparge, you can probably increase your efficiency by doing two.
If you are doing two or more sparges, are they of similar volume. Using similar volumes for multiple sparges is more efficient than using different volumes.
What sort of MLT are you using? I have found that round coolers require a tremendous amount of stirring to really mix things up well. Rectangular coolers with a shallower grain bed require much less stirring.
How do you transfer your sparge water to the MLT? If you ladle it in, you loose a lot of heat during the transfer.
How much dead space do you have in the bottom of the MLT? You could be leaving a considerable amount of wort behind, especially if you only do one sparge.
Have you measured the temperature of the grain bed after adding the sparge water and stirring? The closer you get to 170F (without exceeding it) the more efficient you will be.
What sort of gravity brews are you brewing? Batch sparging becomes increasingly inefficient as the gravity increases.
How much wort do you leave behind in the kettle? If this is excessive, it can have a big effect on efficiency.

Suggestions:
Although the mash out can work wonders when fly sparging, I really don't think it does much for batch sparging. You may want to consider skipping the mash out and using the water saved for sparging. No point in doing this right now, as that would add another variable that would complicate the diagnosis of the problem.
Take gravity readings of the initial runnings, and all sparges. Then post details of the mash including the water and grain measurements, temperatures, and gravity readings for each of the runnings.

Observations:
2.15g per hour is very large. Could some of this be explained by dead space in the kettle?

-a.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
Anbrew
Recipes 

I'm having similar problems, I feel your pain. If I figure out a way to get my efficiency up, I'll let you know.

I'm usually right around 60%, occasionally a bit higher, occasionally a bit lower.

I use a rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen, I've been batch sparging once. I'm going to start batch sparging twice and see if that makes any difference.

I just hate that I"m wasing so much MONEY on grain. If I could hit 80% I could make so much more beer with the same amount of grain.

My semi-regularly updated beer blog: PremiumBitter
PRIMARY 1: Baltic Porter | WLP001
PRIMARY 2: Chocolate-Spearmint Winter Warmer | WLP028
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Old 10-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check your mash efficiency if you haven't done so already. See the link in my sig. pH, fine crush, and 160+*F grainbed throughout sparging are the keys to a good batch sparge.

Other than that I have a feeling many 'my efficiency is low' threads may be caused due to not measuring gravity properly or not measuring volumes accurately. Denser wort collects at the bottom of the pot/fermenter so unless you are stirring before collecting your sample.... and if you have more/less wort than you think your calculations will be way off. All things to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ok, I will take a stab at this problem. It has to be in here somewhere?

1. Measuring volumes accurately.
  2. Collecting all the boil contents (Whatever you leave behind can contain significant wort).
  3. Mashing and sparging slowly at 185F until the mash hits 168F and then continue at 168F until you reach 1.010 specific gravity or the required preboil volume which ever occurs first (this is known as hybrid fly sparging).

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Do what I do. Outlined in my all grain primer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply