Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > friends wedding beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Oregonducks10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default friends wedding beer

My friend is getting married this summer and I want to make a beer with labels for it. And give them it on their wedding and also save a big bottle for their first anniversary. My problem is developing a beer for this that will age well. Any ideas anyone? He likes all kinds of beer, but she doesn't she likes more girlie beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Naggs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just a thought, you could brew something lighter like a Kolsch for the wedding day and then brew a different batch of something else that ages better like a barleywine/stout for the big bottle (and keep the rest for yourself)

Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Oregonducks10
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Love the idea of keeping the rest. But I kind of wanted to surprise them with the same beer like how people save the wedding cake.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 192 Posts

You could make a Belgian with a fruit addition, that might appease both. If you are going to give them the majority of the batch with the intent of having guests drink it then you don't want to make something too potent. (Depending on where they are having the reception and local laws, guests may not be allowed to drink.) If the beer is fairly low ABV it may not hold up well over time. So if that's the plan I would also suggest doing two different beers. Maybe make a low ABV version for the wedding and a higher ABV version in the big bottle. However, if all the beer is a gift just to them to be drank after they return from the honeymoon then one beer capable of aging well would be sufficient.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Oregonducks10
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like the fruit addition. I'm still verifying whether they can have out side alcohol. Otherwise it may just be a gift for them. I think I wanna go reasonably high abv.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
tekkydave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I vote for a partigyle - make a big beer and a small beer. They're not going to want to get tanked on a barleywine on their wedding night anyway.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Mrmorrison21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkydave View Post
I vote for a partigyle - make a big beer and a small beer. They're not going to want to get tanked on a barleywine on their wedding night anyway.
THIS. A great idea that gives you a nice high grav beer to age and a small beer to drink day of. I like it!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Higglesworth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkydave View Post
I've been trying to think of the brewing for my own wedding later this year. This seems like the perfect thing to do!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
tekkydave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This actually got the gears going in my head - I'm expecting a son at the end of April, and this could be something fun. A "coming home from the hospital beer", and "Survived the first year" beer.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higglesworth View Post
I've been trying to think of the brewing for my own wedding later this year. This seems like the perfect thing to do!
I brewed a barleywine back in July that I was just going to age as long as I could stand before I bottle it. Didn't really have a set date in mind, but it looks like I'll be getting married next fall so that might be as good a time as any. I actually don't really like champagne that much, so I was thinking it would be a cool personal touch to have that be an option for the toasts instead.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS