Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fort Collin's Brewery Pomegranate Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
LoneOakDesign
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Fort Collin's Brewery Pomegranate Wheat

So my fiance loves the "Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat" that Ft. Collin's Brewery makes. The only problem is, we live in Austin, they are in Colorado. Has anybody tried a clone of this? Or has anyone had success with another pomegranate wheat recipe?? I'm looking to do a partial mash as I'm not set up for AG yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Someone else was looking for this on another board; no luck with a recipe but some tips on how you might proceed.

Basically, pick a crisp American Wheat recipe (maybe somethiing like this or this), and add some extract at bottling/kegging (no idea where you get pomegranate extract, though).

Alternately, make your wheat recipe and then add real pomegranate in the secondary. It'll be harder to control the pomegranatey-ness this way...might want to split into two secondaries to test different levels of fruit.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Grenadine is pomegranate syrup.

There is also commercially available pomegranate juice. I believe the name is Pom. I don't know whether it has preservatives, but depending on how they preserve the juice, you might be able to just add it to secondary. That'd be easy as hell.

FYI, I've fermented apple juice with a Hefeweizen strain. Done it twice. And the result is fantastic.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
onecolumbyte
Recipes 

Pomegranite juices and concentrates are easier to find than you might think. They are used quite extensively in Middle Eastern cooking. Check your local upscale grocer or try an ethnic market. I would strongly advise using a juice or concentrate because pomegranate is VERY MESSY. We make pomegrante liquor, it looks like you had a messy murder in the kitchen.

If you go the route of adding the juice or concentrate (unsweetened) I would add it in the secondary because the yeast will eat up some of the flavor if you add it during fermentation. If you are adding a syrup however, because of the sugar content, I would add in the middle of primary fermentation.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Almost all grenadine that you find in stores is NOT pomegranate syrup. Make sure you read the ingredients if you're going that route.

You could probably reduce some pomegranate juice (100% of course) and add that, or make your own if you feel like being clever. =) (Try watching Good Eats, Season 10, Episode 17. :P)

-D

Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
LoneOakDesign
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

i think i'm going to try the POM juice. i read on their website that each 16 oz bottle contains five whole pomegranates, nothing else. so there are no additives or preservatives. i'm using austin homebrew's american wheat recipe with this. i think i'm going to rack to secondary right on top of the POM. i'm just not sure how much i'll need. i'll probably buy 3 16 oz bottles. i'll try a little sip of one to see how strong it is and try to determine how much i need to use for a five gallon batch.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I picked up a mixed case of Fort Collins brews that included this beer. If it didn't say pomegranate on the label I wouldn't have known. I gave one to a friend in a glass and asked him if he tasted any hint of fruit addition/flavoring and he said no.

Did I get a bum 6 pack of this?

Quick Reply