The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Forgot Two lbs of DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
jerryalan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forgot Two lbs of DME

Good evening everyone! I brewed a Two Hearted clone tonight and realized at the end that I had forgotten to add two pounds of the DME (recipe calls for four pounds). I've already put the wort into the fermenter and topped off to five gallons but I haven't added yeast yet. Can I boil maybe two gallons of the beer and add the missing two pounds of DME? The reason I only want to boil two gallons instead of all five is so I don't ruin the hops flavor.

Thanks!

--
Jerry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Rad-Rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would just pitch the yeast the way it is. According to my beersmith it will only change the ABV by .65% for a 5gal batch. It won't be the beer you intended to brew but is should be just fine either way. It will affect the color by and bitterness as well.

Last edited by Rad-Rabbit; 10-08-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes you can but you don't need to boil two gallons. I would do it with a half gallon.

Doing this is not a problem at all. Especially since you haven't pitched yet. But even if you had you could do it witha half gallon of tap water and add that.

But you definitely want to get that DME in there. Without it the balance will be way off and you will have a much more bitter beer.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Kegged: Magic Dog #9, Kelly R. IPA, Red Blonde, Roter Hund Hefeweizen, Bud Killer Blonde, Red Dog Pale, Roter Hund Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale

Do you really have 8 beers on tap at the same time? Because I want you to convince my wife it's ok for me to have one or two if so.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you crazy? No way. I only have 7 beers on tap at any given moment. No wait, I just bought all of the stuff yesterday for that eighth tap. This one a nitrogen driven stout faucet.

I do have 12 different beers kegged at the moment. I haven't updated the list in a couple weeks

This sucker can hold a lot of beer:

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 10-08-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply