forced to go all grain, and it turned out alright!
Set out to do a partial mash biab oktoberfest yesterday, and as I was heating my water up for the mash I burnt a hole in the bag which became large enough to leak out all my grain as I dumped it in.
So I improvised with what I had at home. Mash in was 3.5 gallons of water at 155 and mash out was 150 after 60 minutes. I sparged with 2.5 gallons of water at 170 through a two stage filtering process into my bottling bucket with a false bottom. The sparge process took about 30 minutes and I collected about 4.5-5 gallons of wort with a SG of 1.060.
I added a gallon of water then began my 60 minute boil. Ended with a OG of 1.056, giving me about 70% efficiency, which I was very pleased with. Chilled and pitched the yeast and after 12 hours there was no activity. Hoping to see the yeasties doing their thing when I get home from work tonight.
After all of that it only took me about an hour more than usual, so I think I may be doing all grain from here on out! Thanks to everyone who uses this site for helping me along the way.
I did my first PM almost the same way. I had bought ingredients and a cooler. I had installed the ball valve on the cooler but the mash screen wasnt in yet.
Forgetting that the beer I had decided to brew was a PM recipe. I went in and smacked a pack of yeast and when I went to retrieve the corresponding bag of ingredients and realized "oh sugar there are 7lbs of grain here I'm supposed to mash!" The yeast was already activated and I didn't want to wreck the yeast by putting it back in the fridge (though I now know I could have), so i grabbed a big grain bag and put it in the cooler and mashed in, I proceeded to reread everything on this forum about mashing for newbs while I poked the mash way more than i had to. In the end, I got 70% or so efficiency and everyone liked the brew.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.