Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fly vs batch sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

We did a 3-part batch sparge this weekend on a 10-gallon batch of Honey Wheat. Here's what we did:

Vorlauf 3 pitchers full of wort back into mash tun (or until wort runs w/o chunks, etc).
Lauter the wort from mash tun into BK.
Add 1/3 of the sparge water, stir well, vorlauf, lauter.
Repeat until sparge water gone and all wort in BK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroesbeck View Post
- lauter the mash tun, then add half the sparge water to the grain bed
***Lauter as in empty the mash tun, placing the wort into the brew pot before adding ~ half the sparge water?

I'm just getting into home brewing and my first two brews (AG) were sparged slightly different from each other. If nothing else, I'm just tweaking my process to maximize efficiency

Thanks,
JG
Yes empty the mash tun.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #23
ninkasi2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

just a quick question on batch sparging. Some people say lauter after your 1 hour mash then add sparge water (1/2 of it) stir, wait 5-15 minutes than lauter and repeat. others say add the sparge water (1/2), stir and lauter right away without waiting (and without stiring) - is one way more efficient than another?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #24
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninkasi2012
just a quick question on batch sparging. Some people say lauter after your 1 hour mash then add sparge water (1/2 of it) stir, wait 5-15 minutes than lauter and repeat. others say add the sparge water (1/2), stir and lauter right away without waiting (and without stiring) - is one way more efficient than another?
Why wait? Agitate the mash- releasing the sugars , repeat, and boil.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #25
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux

Why wait? Agitate the mash- releasing the sugars , repeat, and boil.
This. Don't wait, just stir and drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #26
Mac951
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sparge comments too

I see several people have trouble with boil-off rates. Put 7 gallons of H20 in your BK and boil it. Start timer.

I live in the dry desert at 5000 ft, and I'm consistently at 20% per hour loss. I calibrated a spoon to work as a "hot dip stick" that is like a auto trans. fluid stick, only accurate when wort is HOT (and not at rolling boil). Did this with H20 and now I can check volume whenever I need it, no sight glass to clean.

Sparge: I had low efficiencies until I started raising Mash-out to over 160°F (less than 170°F) before lautering. I learned the double method reading this thread (THANK YOU!), but get 72% eff by doing single batch stirring it up, then resting for 15 minutes before V-L.

If you sparge too much, you can boil longer BEFORE adding hops.
If you sparge too little, treat it like Extract. Add water to boil, or to fermenter.

Finally, 1 lb crushed dry grain absorbs approx .5qt of water that won't lauter out so add .5 lbs to strike water, but don't add extra for sparge as your grain is already wet.

My MLT also takes about 2 qts to fill up to false bottom, so I toss that in as extra in Mash-in which I can't get out lautering. What about your system, if you don't know, try it with just water and measure the remaining volume.

-Mac

Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #27
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

some brewers believe in a double sparge and others shoot for two equal volumes for the 1st and 2nd runnings. I have done it both ways and have gotten the same efficiency doing it both ways. So now I just save time and just go with making my mash in runnings and my single sparge runnings the same volume. I think the key here is to get a good crush, and get all of the wort out by tilting the cooler up. If you leave a qt behind in the cooler thats quite a bit of sugar the yeast never gets to turn to alcohol, and that could be a point or two of gravity left in the cooler. Your efficiency will vary depending on the size of your grain bill. A recipe with a SG of 1.080 is going to have lower efficiency than a 1.050 beer, and you will need to account for that from experience with your system.

Quick Reply